Brisket turns out better heated next day

temptedfate

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello fellow Bretheren I have a question that I havent been able to find answer here and I hope some of you can help.

I have done 5 hot and fast briskets in the last month or so (some 325, 350 taken to 200, 210 and one to 218 when the probe slide in like butta)and I seem to be having the same problem it always seems on the dry side.

Some would say this is oveerdone but there is something weird that happens the next day when I reheat. After taken to temp and resting in cooler 3-4 hrs meats is tender(has good flop over finger and just about 1" tug before breaking apart) the meat is still warm when I slice but seems to dry out real fast soon after. The next day when I warm it back up either in microwave for a breif time or in the oven the meat tends to be juicier for some strange reason. I cant figure this one out so I ask you for help and wisdom

Thank you

Attachments

• CAM00224.jpg
    CAM00224.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 132
  • CAM00230.jpg
    CAM00230.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 132
  • CAM00232.jpg
    CAM00232.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 132
under cooked brisket will also seem dry.

I am not sure how that fits in if it is probe tender?????

How do you rest it and for how long ? H&F need a long rest and a gradual drop in temp. I rest mine on the counter until the IT drops into the 150's, that is wrapped in the butcher paper it was finished in.

I would say it's the quality of the meat. I will only do a Choice grade or above. I run't a few Selects in my time until I got tired of wasting money.

Undercooked brisket is dry. From what you're describing, I'd guess that's your problem. The pics you show also look underdone to me. Also, as pointed out by Bludawg, the rest is very important too. A loooong rest can make a big difference.

It actually sounds to me like you need to push your cooks just a tad longer. My briskets, when at their best, do not have 1" of pull, they will pull apart after 1/4" to 1/2" at the most. Stop paying so much attention to the internal temperature and try to dial in the probe feel a little more. Try taking one a little farther into the cook, see if that helps.

What leads me to this, is that when you reheat, you might be giving it just enough additional heat, that you are actually cooking it that little bit more.

On edit: those slices are nowhere near over-cooked.

How do you rest it and for how long ?
After done let rest 15-20 min to steam out than wrapped and in cooler 3-4 hrs

I would say it's the quality of the meat.
The last few were Superior Angus Beef from Nebraska Beef

Thankyou for all of your suggestions

I cook both choice and select, and there is no difference in outcome, if I choose a good piece of meat, and cook it right, I end up with good product. The best brisket from last year was a select packer from the local restaurant supply house. This year, it was a Choice Angus, from the same place.

I remove from the cooker, let the brisket sit, open to the room for 5 to 10 minutes, then place in a pan, tent and cover with a towel in the pre-warmed cooler or in the oven at 160F. I will hold it for 3 to 4 hours like that.

I wrap my brisket in foil to rest, and before closing the foil I add 4-8 oz. of apple juice. I wrap the foiled brisket in a bath towel, and put it in the cooler for about 2 hrs. My brisket is nicely moist. And flavorful.

Back