MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice variation Boshizzle, I like clams and crab mine. But, that's why we cook for ourselves.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Wow, I have never heard of this but it looks bloody delish Bo!!
Google time!
A recipe you haven't heard of??

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #18
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Bo,

That looks Soooooooooo Good. Please freeze some and ship Next Day Air.

Thanks.

Doesn't really matter who you send it to to but you need to share.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #19
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

I had Cioppino once, on an extended business to San Jose many years ago. I loved it. I thought it was making me sick to my stomach before I realized I was sitting through an earthquake (It was a 'roller', and I was a naive Midwesterner)

Yours looks at least as good as the stuff I had back then. Nice job!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #20
chad

Love it and get it often when I'm at a place I trust to handle shellfish!!
It's great to stack up the shells and watch people's faces as you schoff down the critters. Same with oysters on the 1/2 shell...I gotta trust the place so I usually only get them in specialty seafood places or very busy raw bars!! I'll be in NOLA in March so I'm sure there will be an oyster or three on the menu.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I love Cioppino, but I like it with the mussels, clams and oysters. I love mussels, clams and oysters.

CD

But, I like my Thermapen, so, there you go.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
A recipe you haven't heard of??

It happens!
Specially here...

Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
Boshizzle

Here is the recipe, Bucc.

1 Can San Marzano Tomatoes - Chopped
1 Bell Pepper - Chopped
1 Onion - Chopped
1 8 ounce jar of Clam Juice
2 cups GF chicken broth
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 TBS sugar
1 cup white wine
3 TBS tomato paste
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
olive oil

Chop the onion and pepper, add to a heated pot with the olive oil. Let it cook for about 5 minutes being careful not to burn the onion. Add the wine and tomato paste. Let it cook until the wine has reduced to about half. Add the tomatoes, broth,garlic, and clam juice along with the herbs (thyme, bay leaf), salt, pepper, sugar. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check the seasoning. Does it need salt? Would a little more sugar reduce any bitterness from the tomatoes? Adjust seasoning as needed. Let it simmer for about another 15 minutes then remove the bay leaf from the pot.

From there, you can add any kind of seafood you like. I used cod, scallops, crab, and shrimp. Keep in mind that the seafood cooks quickly and at different times. So, I added the scallops and cod first, then after about 3 minutes I added the shrimp and crab. After about 3 or 4 more minutes, it was done.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 12-13-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
buccaneer

Thanks bro!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i'm with you dude! don't really dig the bi-valves. your version of that dish looks great if you didn't alreay say, how did you do the broth?
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #26
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

never mind, you posted the recipe while i was asking!!!
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #27
landarc

A little factoid, it is native to San Francisco, although it traces its roots back to both the Italian and Portuguese fisherman that worked the San Francisco Bay. Although it is usually seasoned with mussels and clams (which were very common in the docks back then) it only requires that it be the catch of the day, usually what was not sold, or sale-able. Most often, rock cod, clams, mussels, perch and occasionally squid are the base of the cioppino. The best places would add in baby octopus, Dungeness crab, even crayfish.

The biggest difference between this, and say a Bouillabaisse, Cuippine or Portuguese Fisherman's stew is the soup base. The Ligurian and Sicilian soups often use a fish broth base, and add just a little tomato. Bouillabaisse uses a lot more saffron and the Portuguese use things such as cumin, saffron, pepper and fish for the base. The typical San Francisco recipe is rich with tomato, garlic, bay and onion, as well as a seafood broth. I love this stuff, but, cannot eat it anymore, as my allergy to mussels has gotten to the point that even if the mussels are removed, the broth will cause BAD BAD issues

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
A little factoid, it is native to San Francisco, although it traces its roots back to both the Italian and Portuguese fisherman that worked the San Francisco Bay. Although it is usually seasoned with mussels and clams (which were very common in the docks back then) it only requires that it be the catch of the day, usually what was not sold, or sale-able. Most often, rock cod, clams, mussels, perch and occasionally squid are the base of the cioppino. The best places would add in baby octopus, Dungeness crab, even crayfish.

The biggest difference between this, and say a Bouillabaisse, Cuippine or Portuguese Fisherman's stew is the soup base. The Ligurian and Sicilian soups often use a fish broth base, and add just a little tomato. Bouillabaisse uses a lot more saffron and the Portuguese use things such as cumin, saffron, pepper and fish for the base. The typical San Francisco recipe is rich with tomato, garlic, bay and onion, as well as a seafood broth. I love this stuff, but, cannot eat it anymore, as my allergy to mussels has gotten to the point that even if the mussels are removed, the broth will cause BAD BAD issues
Thanks, bro, I love reading about the history of it!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post

It happens!
Specially here...
You would think it was an Italian dish, from the name, but it is actually a San Francisco dish, with Mediterranean influences. There is a longstanding Italian neighborhood in San Fran. I'm sure that influenced the dish.

If you love fresh seafood, cooked quickly and naturally, it is a fantastic meal. To me, it is a summer meal. It is a meal I like with a good, crisp white wine on a summer evening. That and some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

It is just the right time of year for you.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #30
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You would think it was an Italian dish, from the name, but it is actually a San Francisco dish, with Mediterranean influences. There is a longstanding Italian neighborhood in San Fran. I'm sure that influenced the dish.

If you love fresh seafood, cooked quickly and naturally, it is a fantastic meal. To me, it is a summer meal. It is a meal I like with a good, crisp white wine on a summer evening. That and some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

It is just the right time of year for you.

CD
Most of that neighborhood is gone, called North Beach, it was the heart of the Italian community. It originally anchored the northern shore of the City, from the Presidio to around Pier 33 or so. Most of the docks in that area, whether fishing or freight were run by Italians and Portuguese. On the southern end of that, were the produce markets, as Italians ran those as well. At one point, up until around 1970, the heart of fine dining and fine food ran through this part of the City. I think it is still one of the best places to wander if you love food, there is simply not a bad place on Columbus or for blocks around.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]