MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
tobyC
Found some matches.

Default Staging a mini BBQ competition at a wedding?

Hi all--

I am newbie so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I was directed to this site by some of your brothers who also post on chowhound.com because I have kind of an odd proposition for all of you competitive teams out on Long Island.

You can see the original chowhound thread and the evolution of this idea here:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/769289

I would like to hire two friendly rival teams and stage a mini-bbq competition as the "catering" portion of my casual backyard bbq wedding on Sept 24 2011 in Long Island. We are counting on 125-150 ppl total and it will be in the evening for a dinner reception. You and your rival would come out with your trucks fired up and show us your best stuff--and if you can do a mean Texas style brisket, the fiance will worship you for the rest of eternity (he would eat brisket three meals a day if I let him). The "judges" will be our guests and they will vote for the winner at the end of the evening. We are also trying to think of what might be a desirable prize for the winning team. I don't know much about what a competitive team would drool over, so any suggestions are welcome. And of course we will supply all the beer you can drink.

In the end, hopefully you will get some fun practice beating out your rival before the next real competition and we will get some amazing world-class BBQ and fixings and a fun wedding experience that the local caterers have not been able to offer us so far (the BBQ is always coming in secondary to the china, linens and decor with these guys--they are just not getting it!! We are not eating BBQ off of fancy china!!!)

I don't know if any teams (and their rivals) would be up for this, but if so please contact me and let me know! Or if i can't get two teams to compete, I will also be thrilled with just one competitive BBQ team catering my wedding!
tobyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Is the bride onboard with this?? Make sure!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
tobyC
Found some matches.

I AM the bride!!!

And I am totally on board with this. In fact, it was my idea!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Toby, you ROCK!!!! Marry me....oh wait, never mind.
Red Valley BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

This sounds like a job for backyardchef!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was thinking WillieB, Fred, and Chris.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Ohhhh, OK. I must say I am impressed. Most brides would not have any part of such an idea. And congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyC View Post
I AM the bride!!!

And I am totally on board with this. In fact, it was my idea!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

The cooks will get paid, right?
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I was thinking WillieB, Fred, and Chris.

Yep!

toby,

Contact Willie B.

http://www.williebsbbq.com/

He's the man.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
tobyC
Found some matches.

Thanks guys!!! You're the best! (I assume most of you are guys--wonder why...)

To clarify, it IS a paying gig, not some kind of sneaky scheme to get free work. Catering a wedding, even a casual one like ours, is no joke, and I totally get that--fiance and I both worked in the food biz ourselves in our younger years. I would be paying both teams their fair rate for catering such an event. But I do hope that even with two competition teams catering one party, it will still be affordable and WAY more fun and the food WAY better than some of these stuffy vendors we've been interviewing so far!

Finally, I did get in touch with Willie and spoke to him today. He was awesome to talk to and I think he will be able to help us make this happen. We will be up at Williepallooza this April to meet him and try out his BBQ. We are also happy to meet any other teams there who might be interested in our Wedding BBQ Battle.

And definitely if you have any other questions but don't necessarily want to post publicly, please get in touch with me at [email protected]

Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyC View Post
Thanks guys!!! You're the best! (I assume most of you are guys--wonder why...)

To clarify, it IS a paying gig, not some kind of sneaky scheme to get free work. Catering a wedding, even a casual one like ours, is no joke, and I totally get that--fiance and I both worked in the food biz ourselves in our younger years. I would be paying both teams their fair rate for catering such an event. But I do hope that even with two competition teams catering one party, it will still be affordable and WAY more fun and the food WAY better than some of these stuffy vendors we've been interviewing so far!

Finally, I did get in touch with Willie and spoke to him today. He was awesome to talk to and I think he will be able to help us make this happen. We will be up at Williepallooza this April to meet him and try out his BBQ. We are also happy to meet any other teams there who might be interested in our Wedding BBQ Battle.

And definitely if you have any other questions but don't necessarily want to post publicly, please get in touch with me at [email protected]
Glad to see you made it on here Toby :-) Good luck with the BBQ Battle...and of course the wedding!

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster - Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I'd just like to say thank you for looking at doing this sort of thing. BBQ at a wedding up north...who'da thunk...

We did something off-beat as well at ours. We hired a friend of mine to grill steaks, chicken and fish and I and a lot of friends prepared the side dishes (mostly the day before and morning of).

I trimmed up 7 beef tenderloins and sliced them up. I let my friend do the rest. I had people telling me for 4 months that they had the best steak of their life there. We also had a killer venue. We rented a house on the brow of Lookout Mountain. Here's a couple of shots... Not meaning to hijack your thread

Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
tobyC
Found some matches.

Pigs on Fire--those photos are so AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing!

It is actually our dream to move to the Catskills someday and build a house--we have been scouring properties mostly in the Andes/Bovina area. In fact, my first choice for a wedding venue would have been to buy and fix up a property there in time to have the wedding in our own backyard (with the fiance having built his own smoker), but that didn't happen as quickly as we would have liked with the recession and all.

Luckily a very kind friend offered us the use of his house in L.I. for the event, which is why we are doing it there. But hey, go w/ the flow, right?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Sounds like the groom is a lucky man! Congrats! And I hope all goes well
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
comfrank
On the road to being a farker

tobyC, please post back with a report after the wedding. We'd all love to hear about it.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Tags
catering, Competition, Long Island, wedding