Rib rub not too spicey

bigthirsty

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
any recommendations? My daughter loves my ribs but I can't settle on a rub she likes. always too spicy. Any recommendations?

Blu's Pork Rub for the BBQ Challenged

• 1 4 oz bottle Sweet Paprika
  • 1/2 a 4oz bottle Sugar( what ever kind you have)
  • 1/2 a 4 oz bottle of Kosher salt
  • 1 Teasp celery salt
  • 1 Teasp Granulated onion
  • 1 Teasp Granulated garlic
  • 1 Table sp Mrs Dash Lemon pepper
  • 1/2 tsp (or to taste) Cayenne pepper
  • 1 Teasp Ginger
  • 1 Teasp mustard powder

Interested in this as well. My girlfriend is the kind of person that sometimes ketchup is too spicy. Any commercial examples (not that I have a problem with making my own)?

I may be bad judge since I like things with some heat, but Simply Marvelous Cherry and Sweet Seduction are not spicy, and Spicy Apple is not too spicy. All are great rubs!

Tried out Oakridge's Dominator Sweet Rib Rub this weekend and everyone loved it. All of their rubs that I've tried are solid (Black Ops Brisket and HDD being by far my favs), but this was a new one, and quite good.

Blu's Pork Rub for the BBQ Challenged

• 1 4 oz bottle Sweet Paprika
  • 1/2 a 4oz bottle Sugar( what ever kind you have)
  • 1/2 a 4 oz bottle of Kosher salt
  • 1 Teasp celery salt
  • 1 Teasp Granulated onion
  • 1 Teasp Granulated garlic
  • 1 Table sp Mrs Dash Lemon pepper
  • 1/2 tsp (or to taste) Cayenne pepper
  • 1 Teasp Ginger
  • 1 Teasp mustard powder
Like the OP I do not do spicy. That recipe minus the Cayenne pepper looks like a great one. I made a rub for chicken once (similar ingredients to yours) with the pepper and it was way too hot. Figured I would go with only a 1/4 teaspoon next time. Still too hot for everyone. Eliminated it and people loved the chicken.

If you google "rib rub recipe" there is an About.com article that comes up with the top 10 rub recipes. I used this one in the past and keep coming back to it as it is so delicious. Use the cayenne, it is minimal and combine this with some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and you will have a hit on your hands. I am only using this recipe from now on because everything else I have tried has pretty much been flavorless and not nearly as tasty.
http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm

Like the OP I do not do spicy. That recipe minus the Cayenne pepper looks like a great one. I made a rub for chicken once (similar ingredients to yours) with the pepper and it was way too hot. Figured I would go with only a 1/4 teaspoon next time. Still too hot for everyone. Eliminated it and people loved the chicken.
I'm thinking the same. Make your own rub, but leave out the cayenne pepper

I'm with Ron, I just used Spicy Apple a couple weeks ago and it was great. I like spicy but most my friends don't, and they said it was my best ribs ever.

Adding a little sugar to a rub will cut the heat a little. You might try adding a thin layer of Butcher BBQ honey rub on top of your primary rub on the meat side of the ribs.

Outstanding out of the bottle rubs that are not too hot:
Oakridge
The Slabs Birds and Bones
Cimarron Doc's Rib Rub

Try the Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub...great flavors and not spicy.

If you're looking to go with a commercial brand:

+1 to the Oakridge boys' sweet rib rub. No heat at all in my opinion, yet full of awesome flavor.

I do like SM spicy apple as well. Just a touch (and I mean touch) of heat, as well as great flavor.

Here is a simple one I use.
People who do not "do" heat at all like this.

All Purpose Rub:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup chili powder

Back