MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First UDS Build

Hello all,

I'm a newbie and have just begun the process of process of collecting the materials to build my first UDS. If things go in the right direction by the end of this coming weekend I should have everything I need and a start on the build process.

I have been doing a lot of reading and reviewing the many threads of the subject which have driven my excitement. I look forward to someday being able to participate in sharing my own UDS and some of the delicious items to come off from it.

I'll post from pics of my build as things get started. Wish me luck!

Dana
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Good luck! I built my first this spring and except for one sad bone-in pork butt (terrible!), it has been fabulous to use. Steady temps and light on charcoal use.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

congrats! Gonna post build pix??
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Steady temps and light on charcoal use.
Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much charcoal/wood to use depending on desired temp and length of cook time?

D

Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
congrats! Gonna post build pix??
Thank you.... and most definitely!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post
Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much charcoal/wood to use depending on desired temp and length of cook time?

D
I fill my basket to the top every time regardless of how long I am cooking. It snuffs out so well when closed that I can reuse coals with no worries.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

With the wood, less is more sometimes. 3 or 4 fist size chunks is usually enough to give all the smoke you need.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post

D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
I fill my basket to the top every time regardless of how long I am cooking. It snuffs out so well when closed that I can reuse coals with no worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
With the wood, less is more sometimes. 3 or 4 fist size chunks is usually enough to give all the smoke you need.
In my amateur experience, everyone is right! I usually put about 10lbs in (maybe 2/3rds full fire basket) and when done, close all vents and reuse. Also, just a little wood for flavor, for me that's been about 1 fist size chunk for ribs and 2 for longer cooks like brisket or pork butts / shoulders. Lately it's been apple wood btw.

But to be honest, I have about 5 months experience and should shut up and let the others that actually are experts speak!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Bkgsmoker
Found some matches.

Default Uds basket capacity

My charcoal baskets are exactly on cubic foot and will hold temp for at least fourteen hours. Only time I've ever used a full basket is when I seasoned it.
Bkgsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

my basket is 11" deep by 15" dia. 3" from botttom of barrel. Holds about 10lbs of RO lump with (1) 4" by about 6" tall log standing on end. Then I place 10 - 15 lit Kingsford briquetts on top to start.
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

First FREEBIE score...

On my way home from work tonight I spotted an older charcoal grill on the sidewalk (meaning take me home... so I did). It is a 22.5inch Weber look-a-like with a little abuse but the cover with vent is in great shape with base rim still in tact and dual hinges. The grates are still in side but a bit rusty, not sure if these can be cleaned and treated or not. I guess that's where the forum comes in.

Pic to be posted at day light.

D

Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
TurkeyLeg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Same thing I do. Fill it every time, then use minion method. A UDS will hold temp, and is so fuel efficient. I built an offset out of a 55 gallon drum about 3 years ago. Man I had to babysit that thing all day. But an upright setup, it's like Ron Popeil said, set it and forget it!!
TurkeyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
TurkeyLeg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Unless your doing chicken. In my experience 1 chunk is all chicken needs.
TurkeyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Don't forget to take progress photos! And I hope for your sake you have an unlined drum- mine wasn't and I spent the better half of a day laying inside it with a wire wheel on my grinder getting all that sh!t off. It sucked!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Freebie...