MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Default Vending and peoples choice competition

Sooooo, I've been invited to vend at a people's choice bbq competition at a brewery/taproom in March. Rules are simple, no rules. We can pick our own menu, portion size, pricing, etc. There are only 3 vendors, and they are expecting a crowd of 2000+. They also have bands playing all day. Looking for input and thoughts on how others would approach this event. Portion sizes, quantity to prepare, etc.

Here's what I have in mind: Brisket, Pulled Pork, Chicken Thighs, Mac and Cheese and Slaw. 4oz portions of meat, I usually sell 6oz sandwiches, slightly smaller bun as well. Around 1,000 portions of meat, 300 on the mac and 20lbs of slaw, made in small batches. Thoughts/feedback?
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I'm a little lost... Sorry..
Are you vending it and selling your product?
Or is is a people's choice competition that you are giving away samples for?
What is the prize if its a comp?

Are others giving away samples as part of the comp, and you three are vending?
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Is this an event that has taken place in the past and you can verify that 2000 people attend? If so figure 25% of the crowd will eat and divide that by the amount of vendors. Example 2000 people = 500 people will eat. 500 divides by 3 vendors = prepare for 167 people to eat from you. This can go up or down some depending on specific event details but by no means would I prepare for 1000 sandwiches. I'd probably figure enough pork for 200, brisket for 50-100 (I'm in pork country), mac for 150-200, 15-20lbs slaw. If the event has not been done before I would in no way expect or plan on 2000 people attending and if the weather is not ideal I'd cut my food amounts by 50%.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

We are selling food, no free samples. People that eat get to then cast a vote for their favorite bbq. Prize is bragging rights, and get invited back following year.

This is the 4th year, 3rd of this format with multiple bbq trucks/trailers. First year was just 1 bbq food truck. They get about 2,000, but that will also depend heavily on weather here in Mn. End of March it could be 50 degrees and sunny or drop 10 inches of snow. They have bluegrass bands playing all day, and about every hour they have a special brew they tap.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

How many BBQ vendors? No prize money only sales? You could cater one office lunch for 20 and have a guaranteed positive result. Only one making a killing is the bar. Never minded helping out a non-profit add to their funds but haven't figure out a way to eat trophies or bragging tights.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Is this an event that has taken place in the past and you can verify that 2000 people attend? If so figure 25% of the crowd will eat and divide that by the amount of vendors. Example 2000 people = 500 people will eat. 500 divides by 3 vendors = prepare for 167 people to eat from you. This can go up or down some depending on specific event details but by no means would I prepare for 1000 sandwiches. I'd probably figure enough pork for 200, brisket for 50-100 (I'm in pork country), mac for 150-200, 15-20lbs slaw.
My sales are usually pretty close between pork and brisket, pork does edge out brisket by a little bit depending on the venue. Some areas people arent willing to pay the extra money for beef over brisket. Chicken lags quite a bit.
I get what your saying on dividing the crowd size, but I think this is different than normal vending at a fair or event since they are putting it as a people's choice, and promoting to get people to try all 3. I was finally able to get a response from one of the past vendors from 2yrs ago to give info. Meeting with him tomorrow. That should hopefully give me a better idea of what to expect.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Good Luck, maybe consider going with all sliders and bite-sized samples for $1-$2 because, in my opinion, people are not going to buy and eat a sandwich from all 3 vendors just to cast a vote even if they could eat that much. My question to the vendor from two years ago that you are meeting with would be why isn't he doing it again? Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

It's invite only, the winner gets auto invited following year. They started that after the 2nd year doing it.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Just talked to someone that did it a couple yrs ago, and he cooked 500lbs total of ribs and brisket and sold out in 3hrs, served 2 bones and about 3-4oz brisket per order. So seems like the limit will be our service time
Old 03-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Cool, keep us posted on how it goes. When is the event?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Here's the update...crazy week, issues all around. Meat was to my liking, but everyone said they enjoyed it that I talked to. Insanely busy, line was non-stop from 1230-8p. Did just shy of 4k in sales. Cooked and sold a lot of food. I'm still recovering from only 2hrs sleep Friday night. Overall. It bad, just need to get smoker and generator working up to par again.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

That's great, glad it was a success! What meat quantities did you end up cooking? I know how ya feel about the sleep. I catered a luncheon on Friday for 425 people and I went from 7am Thursday to 5pm Friday straight through with no sleep. Used to not be that bad 7-8 years ago but I'm finding it not so easy at 47 years old.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Approximatley 200lbs pork, 140lbs brisket and 40lbs chicken.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #14
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

43 with a 2yo isnt easier