MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
fatguyputter
On the road to being a farker

Default Quick Help with puffy smoke

I am doing a Prime Rib tonite for "special guests" and fired up my WSM at 12:30 to do a 11 lbs. Prime rib, I thought I had plenty of time to get it done by 7:00pm, but I am still waiting on white smoke to clear up. It has been 1 hour and 15 minutes and still puffing white.

I did the minion method with 3 fist size chunks of hickory. Any ideas, cuz now my time line is getting thinner.

Thanks.
fatguyputter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

What kind of charcoal are you using? Is it possible the white stuff is steam? It's pretty cold outside. From here, other than knowing you said white and puffy, it's hard to gauge if the problem is too think of a smoke from an unclean burn, or just steam from the cold air.

How much lit fuel did you add, and what kind of fuel was it? What were the vents set at when you started, and where are they now?

Personally, for a WSM with 3 fist size chunks of wood using the minion method, I don't see how you are putting out sooty smoke unless you have bad charcoal. I think it's probably steam...but without being able to actually see it with my own eyes I can't say for certain.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguyputter View Post
I am doing a Prime Rib tonite for "special guests" and fired up my WSM at 12:30 to do a 11 lbs. Prime rib, I thought I had plenty of time to get it done by 7:00pm, but I am still waiting on white smoke to clear up. It has been 1 hour and 15 minutes and still puffing white.

I did the minion method with 3 fist size chunks of hickory. Any ideas, cuz now my time line is getting thinner.

Thanks.
General info, as I don't know if the hickory is wet, or dry. But move it (the hickory chunks) more to the center of the charcoal, so the fuel is fully fired before the smoking takes place.

Maybe: remove the chunks and put fresh pieces in the center in their place, if they're burning.

Check your air flow, too.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook in the cold alot. With the WSM and a water pan it is going to put out steam for the entire cook. Put your meat on you should be good to go. I put a brisket on this morning at 7am. 17 degrees still putting our puffy steam. Put your face in an take a wiff. I think you will find you are good to go. keith
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
fatguyputter

Hickory is dry.....temp outside is about 45 degreees, not much wind. I really don't think it is steam. Using Kingsford blue. I put in a pretty good amount (a full circle) It has never taken this long before, but it is starting to turn clearer and bluer since my first post.

I'm wondering, thinking back, if I didn't put in my half chimney full of lighted charcoal a little early (before the coals were completely ashed over). Thanks for your help any other ideas would be great, but I think its coming around.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
fatguyputter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobow View Post
I cook in the cold alot. With the WSM and a water pan it is going to put out steam for the entire cook. Put your meat on you should be good to go. I put a brisket on this morning at 7am. 17 degrees still putting our puffy steam. Put your face in an take a wiff. I think you will find you are good to go. keith

I did that originally about 30 min. ago and still smelled the bad charcoal smell. I think I got it going now....thanks.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
fatguyputter

While we're on it, another thing happened that was weird. I had the roast (which wasn't frozen) in the fridge, pulled it out at 11am and let it sit until 1:45pm and when I put the probe in it was still only 42 degrees internal.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hickory is dry.....temp outside is about 45 degreees, not much wind. I really don't think it is steam. Using Kingsford blue. I put in a pretty good amount (a full circle) It has never taken this long before, but it is starting to turn clearer and bluer since my first post.

I'm wondering, thinking back, if I didn't put in my half chimney full of lighted charcoal a little early (before the coals were completely ashed over). Thanks for your help any other ideas would be great, but I think its coming around.
Charcoal can absorb moisture, so that might explain why. If your hickory is dry, don't worry about that being the issue. Try giving it a little more air. Hotter might help.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
While we're on it, another thing happened that was weird. I had the roast (which wasn't frozen) in the fridge, pulled it out at 11am and let it sit until 1:45pm and when I put the probe in it was still only 42 degrees internal.
Probably not the problem, but like my meat to room temp, and the grill fully heated before starting the cook.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
fatguyputter

Temp was at 240 with everything open now it has risen to 275 and smoke is perfect. Thanks for the help guys. I think two things happened: I didn't get my chimney as far along as I needed to before putting it on the ring of charcoal, and, I think the higher temp helped things out alot. I also did as you suggested BTCG and put the hickory more directly in the center of the fire. Thanks again for the help, we may have saved a minor dissaster.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
fatguyputter

BTCG,

Why do you think the roast didn't rise more after 2 1/2 hours at room temp? My fridge is on the cool side 34 degrees, but still, I thought it would get into the 50s with that length of time--am I wrong there?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

A 11 lb. chunk of meat takes a while to adjust to ambient temps, evidently.

So how do you know it's not steam? You didn't ever specify that you weren't using water in the pan.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Dave is right on, as to why, FG.

Last edited by btcg; 01-22-2011 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: EDIT: His top line is accurate. Bottom, not so much.
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Everyone imagine a picture of a puffy nipple posted here.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Everyone imagine a picture of a puffy nipple posted here.

I did... but I'm in enough trouble with the missus already... so I don't need any help. Thanks anyways!

Anyhoo, would appreciate any insight you had on BMS smokers (even were it to be a thread on another side of the website). In fact, I'd bet every head would be turned for that one.

You're the first opinion I want to hear on most things BBQ (as referenced on the various threads)...often the only, after you reply. I think that's because if one is right... there's really no reason to have other's respond, or consider them, eh?

BUT... what do I know? Anyways, sounded like you're hurt by one of your last post. Your brothers and I all hope you're okay.

Mean it!