MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Default Kamado cookers fat drippings

For all of you guys who use your ceramic kamado cookers as smokers, when you really load them up with pork butts how do you guys deal with all the fat drippings that run off? Pan on top of diffuser plate? Just foil the diffuser and let the fat fall onto it?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

A couple of sheet of heavy duty foil covering the diffuser work great for me. Very easy cleanup.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Disposable pan on top of the diffuser. Whatever grease is left on the stone gets burned off via high heat afterwards. Easy peasy.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Disposable pan on top of the diffuser. Whatever grease is left on the stone gets burned off via high heat afterwards. Easy peasy.
That's what I do as well.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
brother steve
Got Wood.

Pans on top of ceramic plates
brother steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I let it drip right on the diffuser. I'm too lazy to foil the plate setter before hand. I use 2 putty knives to scrape off the crap when I set it up for the next cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=141844

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the link, pictures with words makes a difference sometimes. Seems like you got a good system going on there.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I have a Akorn - I learned the hard way to put a pan on the diffuser. I had no issue with one butt (other than a mess on the difuser) but when I did two it almost put my fire out. Clean up now is a breeze.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Dabaras
On the road to being a farker

Always a pan on the diffuser plate. Also helps keep the temps stable, prevents fires, etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Riz58

Pan on the diffuser, foil on the diffuser, whatever does not come off that way, flip the diffuser over on the next cook and burn it off that way.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

I cook on a lge BGE but the concept is the same obviously. I have used this pan setup on the top grate. The key here, is to chop up your favorite veggies, add some apple juice and let it roll. This is a flat but you get the idea. They are some delicious things after all is said and done.

Or, you can do it this way and put the pan underneath.(this is an old pic off my R2D2). With a ceramic cooker, you Can't put the pan directly on top of the plate setter/diffuser. I use the ceramic feet, that came with my egg, or get some fire bricks and break them in half if need be. That way, you can create indirect heat for the pan and smoke your veggies at the same time.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

I usually foil the diffuser also. The one time I didn't I just happened to be cooking a 22lb rib roast. It was so big some of the drippings fell outside of the fire bowl. I still need to do a good clean. When we cranked up the heat to do a reverse sear I had one mother of a fire going. I agree with others if you are going to do a lot meat use a pan.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

Either the meat in the pan on the main grate or a pan underneath on the diffuser. I tried wrapping the diffuser stones with foil and found that the foil on the underside was 'burnt' away. Since I don't think infusing my meat with aluminum fumes is probably a good thing, I don't do that anymore. A foil pan on the diffuser stones becomes black with burnt drippings unless I keep it replenished with liquid in addition to the drippings but that forces me on a long cook to keep opening the kamado (Primo XL) to refill the pan which defeats the purpose of the ceramic cooker. So most of the time my foil pan is on top of the main grates with something in the pan to elevate the meat above the drippings. (like a rib rack, etc....)
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
Teltum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
A couple of sheet of heavy duty foil covering the diffuser work great for me. Very easy cleanup.
Yup.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

I foil my plate setter and put a drip pan on top of some ceramic feet to give the pan an air gap underneath to keep the pan cooler and reduce the issue with burnt drippings.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote