New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

All of the pics in this thread show 2 levels of racks in the cooking chamber, but the ones I am seeing at Academy only have 1 (no upper channel for a rack), did they change the design?

There is or was a grilling grate in FB that can be moved to cook chamber for upper grate.

BluDawg said the no hotspots is true and it's any easy pit to run once you mod the fire grate so ash falls better.

Last edited:
Nothing like UDS charcoal basket. It's a stickburner with firebox behind it instead of on end. Did you not look at first 14 pages .?. :confused:

I was in a local Academy today cashing in a gift card I got for Christmas. They had an over/under on the floor. I checked it out all over. I'm really impressed with the design. One of the things that has always turned me off to stick burners is having to monkey with them because of hot and cool spots. Bludawgs testimony about the even heat with this rig has taken that issue out of the equation. I can get fuel for one of these for next to nothing so I might just have to get one to compliment my LSG cabinet. I've always loved the taste of meat cooked on a stick burner.

i was in a local academy today cashing in a gift card i got for christmas. They had an over/under on the floor. I checked it out all over. I'm really impressed with the design. One of the things that has always turned me off to stick burners is having to monkey with them because of hot and cool spots. Bludawgs testimony about the even heat with this rig has taken that issue out of the equation. I can get fuel for one of these for next to nothing so i might just have to get one to compliment my lsg cabinet. I've always loved the taste of meat cooked on a stick burner.

do it!

You guys think the Over Under is better than the $399 or $499 offsets from Old Country/Academy?

And for $80, I can be semi-confident one will arrive not destroyed?

This seems like a great intro to all wood bbq...

You guys think the Over Under is better than the $399 or $499 offsets from Old Country/Academy?

And for $80, I can be semi-confident one will arrive not destroyed?

This seems like a great intro to all wood bbq...

I wouldn't say it's better - it's different - no Hot Spots, but some guys actually like the temp difference on an offset. I don't but some do - they put Chicken on Hot end and Brisket on cooler end. The offsets can be evened out with tuning plates or convection plates but more like 20-25* degree differential.

The Wrangler is smaller than I like. The Pecos is Nice size for average backyard BBQ guy and close to size of O/U cooking grate but O/U has a top grate increasing its capacity. You could add a top grate to Pecos either welding in angle or building a removable grate with legs/ feet that sits on regular grate but it may be Hotter on top grate.

I think the O/U would be easier for a Newb cooking multiple meats ( even multi of same cut) but there have been some Newbs who said they couldn't run it and returned it for the Wrangler or Pecos.

I can not speak on Shipping as I've not heard anyone who has ordered one shipped.

Back