MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #16
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
Sorry. I love a new toy as much as anybody. But what is the point of GG's? I use my gasser occasionally when doing steaks because it can reach 700 degrees easily. Sear marks aren't an issue. Any other reason? They sound hard to clean and are expensive. Not trying to be a jerk. I just don't get it...........
well I never like to speak to value. cost is relative to each individual. what's worth it is up to you. I did pick up a set big enough to cover a 22 kettle for $50 (spatula included) on sale so in my case it was a value. I've always wanted to try them but not at over $100. I've had them in my cart several times and could never pull the trigger.

as to why there are a few potential benefits. the first thing I noticed was how even the IR thermometer showed temps. the entire surface of the grill grates was within 50° despite only being heated by the small firepot on the pit boss. this increased my usable sear space considerably. another benefit is reduced flare ups. I am not a fan of grill lines myself. they can be flipped upside down and used on the flat side if desired. this creates a kind of griddle surface for cooking. I dont know about cleaning but I assume it's just a matter of building a proper season and your good.

I've cooked hundreds, if not thousands of steaks on traditional grates. do I need grill grates to cook a steak? of course not. can they improve grill performance? of course

at the end of the day this is also my hobby. buying various gadgets is fun and keeps things fresh. I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a pellet cooker or gasser that needs more umph.

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Roseville View Post
Still waiting for mine as well. What type of blemish/flaw did it have??
not much honestly. small scratch on the spatula. I think the grates themselves may be discolored but once they are seasoned it'll be moot.

if you look at the pic in the OP the section on the right has a tiny knick in the rib on the far right. it's almost nothing and worth over half off

Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #18
mcbrew13
On the road to being a farker

I like the GG for steak. But you are on the right track - flip over and do smash burgers. Big winner at our house
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #19
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Mine come in today, but there's rain in the forecast for the next 5 or 6 days, so I'm not sure when I'll get to use them. I got mine as an additional way of cooking. It takes a lot less time for my Yoder to get up to temp than it does for me to get the charcoal grill running, so I see it as a way to get cooking faster when I'm in a hurry. Normally, I wouldn't have bought them, but the discount was to good to ignore.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #20
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
so what did you figure out? may as well shorten the curve for the rest of us

here is my inaugural run.

the set I bought is for the kettle but fits on my pellet cooker too. 5 inches of snow yesterday so instead of digging out the weber I did the first run on the pit boss.

I had to turn them sideways to fit but it was a good one. the ir thermometer showed fairly even temps on the entire surface of the grill grates. I left the sear plate closed and started at 350F. by the end of the cook I had the grill cranked all the way up to the max of 500F and things were fine. I picked up some discounted pork chops, a tuna steak and a lbs of raw shrimp for the trial run.

definitely ran best at full temp. I think I'll prefer to use the flat side on most cooks, it will be fun to see.

didn't really get any pics as I was focused on figuring these out. just a couple of mug shot quality photos

The main thing I learned was just to cook on them like a regular grate. I kept over cooking stuff since I always did reverse sear on the regular grate. Once I quit over thinking and did a normal steak cook I got back to perfect medium rare.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #21
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er View Post
The main thing I learned was just to cook on them like a regular grate. I kept over cooking stuff since I always did reverse sear on the regular grate. Once I quit over thinking and did a normal steak cook I got back to perfect medium rare.
When you reverse sear do you have a free space without the grillgrates for the low part of the cook?

My concern is that the heat dissipation will transfer to the cool side of the kettle on a reverse sear. Maybe leave one section out to get steak to temp before searing on the grillgrates?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #22
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

The orange and blue BBQ truck just dropped off my GrillGrates!!

Other than one is slightly darker than the other and a few scratches and discolorations they seem to be in great shape. Hell, I wouldn't even complain about these if I paid full price.

There's a blemish on the rail corner but after a few steaks it won't be seen.

A scratch across the flat side, still not bothering me!

A few other minor blemishes on the edge

Other than that they're in good shape.

Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #23
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Quote:
When you reverse sear do you have a free space without the grillgrates for the low part of the cook?

My concern is that the heat dissipation will transfer to the cool side of the kettle on a reverse sear. Maybe leave one section out to get steak to temp before searing on the grillgrates?
That was mine too which is why I was cooking straight over the coals. I reverse sear on the grill grates with no issues so far.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #24
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
well I never like to speak to value. cost is relative to each individual. what's worth it is up to you. I did pick up a set big enough to cover a 22 kettle for $50 (spatula included) on sale so in my case it was a value. I've always wanted to try them but not at over $100. I've had them in my cart several times and could never pull the trigger.

as to why there are a few potential benefits. the first thing I noticed was how even the IR thermometer showed temps. the entire surface of the grill grates was within 50° despite only being heated by the small firepot on the pit boss. this increased my usable sear space considerably. another benefit is reduced flare ups. I am not a fan of grill lines myself. they can be flipped upside down and used on the flat side if desired. this creates a kind of griddle surface for cooking. I dont know about cleaning but I assume it's just a matter of building a proper season and your good.

I've cooked hundreds, if not thousands of steaks on traditional grates. do I need grill grates to cook a steak? of course not. can they improve grill performance? of course

at the end of the day this is also my hobby. buying various gadgets is fun and keeps things fresh. I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a pellet cooker or gasser that needs more umph.
I think this my issue. The $$. Maybe they will go on sale again.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #25
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Supposedly FedUp has delivered my grates.
3 more hours of work.
Besides a good scrubbing, any thing else I need to do before I use them?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #26
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffettFan View Post
Supposedly FedUp has delivered my grates.
3 more hours of work.
Besides a good scrubbing, any thing else I need to do before I use them?

I spritz them with oil when they are nice and hot... right before putting the food on.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #27
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Both of these were done with the grill grates on the Mak. One was the flat surface. Other was ridged

Last edited by BKING!; 07-28-2019 at 04:31 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #28
smoke ninja

cook two. sear plate open.

sale ribeye. 50/50 carne crosta & santa maria is my goto for steak

playing with the new IR thermometer

had a smudge on the lens, looks like fuzzy filter.

finished steak

one of my all time favorite meals. ribeye with baked potato and asparagus, only thing missing is a cluster of crab legs.

grill grates are a winner

Old 02-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #29
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Got home and found them in the driveway.
Opened them up, very happy so far.
Definite color variation and one small ding.
Nothing that bothers me.
Wife is under the weather, so the first cook will wait till tomorrow. Sigh.

Thanks for the reply, rwalters!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #30
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Nice looking steak ninja!