• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Inc. - Rockville Centre, LI

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I stopped by BBQ Inc. last week and got some take out.

The first thing to note is that this place is almost too nice looking to be called a BBQ joint. That automatically makes me suspicious.

The bartender was a smoking (pun intended) hot blond, so I immediately felt better about the place.

I decided to go basic, so I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and a side of chili. The total came to about $18.00.

While waiting I looked around a bit. The restaurant seems built for summer and late spring traffic. The entire front window is removed on nice days to give the space a very open feel. You can get a table near the entrance and people watch as you have a combination of dining al fresco with the limited privacy afforded by 3 walls of the restaurant separating you from the public in the street.

They have a beautiful bar and a large screen tv (they had the MLB playoffs on while I was there). There are roughly 14 tables that looked very comfortable and well spaced out.

Speaking with the manager (and maybe a part owner, I'm not sure), they do their smoking on premises and use deconstructed jack daniels barrels for their wood. I wasn't familiar with the type of smoker they use, but I believe it is similar to a cookshack. They are waiting for permits to get larger smokers outside the building behind the restaurant.

It seems that they smoke the meat for 2 hours and then have them in an oven for another 6 to 8. Not the best situation, but better than some places like Tennessee Jack's that opens a cryovac from Sysco. Hopefully the new smokers will allow them to have continuous smoking over wood.

The pulled pork sandwich came with french fries and coleslaw. There are no substitutions. The fries were pretty dead by the time I got home. Lukewarm at best, limp and soggy. They don't seem to use anything on the fries (rubs or other flavor additives) which might be a good thing if I was eating it at the restaurant. There is something to be said for food that is pure and as unadulterated as possible. Unfortunately, the 30 minute drive home didn't help things at all.

The sandwich was plentiful and tasty. It wasn't the best by any means, but for Long Island BBQ it was pretty good. The coleslaw was fresh, tart and crispy and I plopped it on top of the sandwich. It wasn't that flavorful, but it was pretty decent.

Tortilla chips (maybe eight) came directly on top of the chili. That was a little odd. The chili also came with sour cream plopped in the middle. It would have been nice if they had been in a side container. Other than that the chili was better than average. It would have annoyed purists, as it had kidney beans and used ground beef, but the flavor was good.

Overall, it warrants a return trip.

Eric

Nice review. Reasons you should have eaten the sandwich and fries there rather than take-out:
1. Smoking hot blonde bartender
2. The food would be fresher, the fries crisper without the 30 minute delay
3. Smoking hot blonde bartender
4. A chance to get even more dirt on the place
5. More drinks (see #1 and #3)
6. Baseball playoffs (notice how the Yankees are out, the Red Sox are in?)
7. Smoking hot blonde bartender

Eric - Do you think the guy was being truthful about using deconstructed JD oak barrels ?

Would think that quite a steady flow of barrels would be needed. Not sure how easy it would be to acquire those continuously. Maybe they are using some JD wood chips ?

Eric - Do you think the guy was being truthful about using deconstructed JD oak barrels ?

Would think that quite a steady flow of barrels would be needed. Not sure how easy it would be to acquire those continuously. Maybe they are using some JD wood chips ?

I don't know. I would not be surprised to hear that he thought that they do and was mistaken. He seemed very much to be a manager and not a kitchen guy.

Eric

If it is a cookshack then wouldn't it most likely be pellets?

Eric- Where in RVC was this place located? I live in Baldwin( for the next 11 days) and have not seen this place and never heard of it!

Thanks Wes, right after I typed the question I went and Googled it and found the location.

I not busy this weekend so I'll meet you guys there say around 1:30 sunday

Back