• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Baby Bullet Build Thread (Mini WSM)

zacman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I wanted to share my Mini WSM build with you all. After building my UDS I just had to make myself a Mini for camping. I started by finding a new SJG on CL for $20 bucks. Then I got an Imulsa tamale pot at Wal-Mart. After putting the pot on the SJG I noticed that was just not as sturdy as I would like. Since I primarily wanted this thing for camping it needed to be rock solid to withstand wind, dogs, and drunken people. So I crafted a Lip out of the lid and bolted it to the bottom of the pot. I haven’t seen this done before but I can’t recommend it enough. This thing is rock solid! Wanting to use every part of the pot I then made my diffuser out of the steam rack. I used a step bit to drill larger holes and mount it upside down, works great. I made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal and a handle to lift it in and out. I can get an 8+ hour burn. The height of the basket was set just to the top of the bottom so I could place the rack on it and sear my food. I also added a conduit nut and bolt for my Maverick, keeps it level and away from the heat. To finish it off I painted to match my UDS. I must say these are phenomenal cookers. So without any more chatter here is my Baby Bullet enjoy.

128.jpg

135.jpg

138.jpg

140.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

446.jpg

450.jpg

453.jpg

454.jpg

455.jpg

458.jpg

200.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

209.jpg

219.jpg

445-1.jpg

442.jpg

443.jpg

444.jpg

447.jpg

464.jpg

466.jpg

467.jpg

470.jpg

471.jpg

474.jpg

475.jpg

476.jpg

479.jpg

486.jpg

502.jpg

592.jpg

593.jpg

824.jpg

184.jpg

291.jpg

MMM BEER

Last edited:
These builds just keep getting better and better. Great work!! Just curious why you switched to the SJS halfway through the build?

Great job! Nice paint work too!

These builds just keep getting better and better. Great work!! Just curious why you switched to the SJS halfway through the build?

Well that is a long story but I might as well tell it. I got the SJG on CL for 20 bucks, and then I found a SJS at Target on sale for 15 bucks so I bought it too. Later I got one more SJS at Target for 7 and couldn't help myself. So that why so many Smokey Joes. Anyway here is what happened. When I finished my build I took it over to my friend’s house to paint it as I still had a can of paint over there from my UDS build. We like to drink beers while we work... anyway we painted her up late night in the driveway. I had taken the SJG to show him the complete build. I had a few too many and decided to sleep on his couch. I left the project there to cure the black paint as I knew I would be back next weekend to finish the flames. A week later I go back over and painted up the flames, around midnight I ask for my SJG, which he said he didn't have! After a little debate he said hey let’s just check the security system to see what happened. He has cameras in his garage and front of his house. Lo and behold there I am carrying it to my wife’s car to put it in the trunk; it was locked so I left it in the front yard. I went back inside to sleep and forgot to get the keys and put in trunk... so we roll the tape to 8am. Then we see a city truck pull up to the yard, guy gets out picks up my grill and puts it in his truck! The camera's got a perfect shot of him and his employee number on the truck. 1 am and his wife immediately calls the cops :doh:. When they hear we have it on tape the sheriffs immediately come over as they just have to see it. I have a great time explaining to them the Mini WSM build. They get a copy and a few weeks later the detective working the case brings me back my grill and an apology from the guy. Then the courts decide he needs to pay damages of 60 bucks to cover price of new grill and parts. So in the end I got the entire build for free. Gotta love technology.

Wow! That paint job is sick! Nice build. I love my little mini WSM

zacman, Howdy;

Great story, fantastic build, right smart lookin' smoker ya got yourself...

I was tryin' to puzzle out what the large object was in the side of the pot under the Right handle as ya look at the thermo. then I saw you had the temp. probs stuffed thru it and have that long bolt stickin' out to keep the read-out plumb. Slick thinkin'... :grin:

Where did ya get the pass-thru for the probes and what size is it, who makes it???????

hank

Hank

The pass though is for electric wires. You can find them at any HD or Lowes in the electrical section. They have a nice rubber center and I use them on all my smokers. Just use a step bit to drill the hole and you’re good to go, 3/4" I believe. Cost like 2 bucks.

zacman, Howdy;

Thanks much. Just a standard electricial conduit pass thru... cool...:wink:

No problems with heat or anything??? No smoke leaks ???

another chunk of the puzzle... :grin:

hank

Back