MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
purplestarrider
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
the OK joe has the pot warmer top on the fire box. could be handy for beans, warming wood, etc
so does the NBBD

Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmm, my first was a home built offset smoker. I learned a lot from it. I still use it for short cooks. I have now built two UDS and the third and fourth are in progress. As mention already managing a fire for 18 hours can get a little tiring. I would love a 22" WSM and three or four would be even better.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #18
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

As many have already said (and we're not being evasive here) it's really up to you and what you're looking for.

Personally, I love all my smokers for what each offers. I started on my ECB. It was "upgraded" when I build the UDS and since the drum has more capacity, it's my "go to" cooker.

I've always had at least 1 kettle and LOVE their versatility.

When I bought my Oklahoma Joe's Bandera style upright offset, I fell in love again. I love it because it's a stick burner. Like gtr said, there's just something very cool about managing the fire on the offset. When you figure it out and just have to add a log every so often and never need to touch the vents and keep it puffing out that thin blue smoke, it's just a feeling of achievement and satisfaction that I can't describe. It's definitely a challenge.

Many times, though, I just don't feel like (or honestly can't) dedicate the time needed to fiddle with the stick buner. I don't have a WSM, but have cooked on one a few times. I classify it the same as my (modified) ECB or the UDS as a "set it and forget it" cooker. Also a great advantage when it's needed. Sleep is nice.

Anyway.....if you can........you'll appreciate getting both. If not, chose one and make the most of it. if you're wanting to eventually go with a high dollar offset, I'd recommend a cheaper starter model first. Fire managment skills are something that once you get the basics down, you will be able to quickly apply it to any offset.

Good luck with whatever you chose!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #20
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I got my start on a Brinkman Cimmaron offset. Produced some great Q with that thing.

But the "fun" of tending a fire for 18 hours wears off after awhile, so I opted for the WSM. 5 of them actually.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best dollar for dollar value available.
Same here -- I thought it was cool to "tend my BBQ" all day, for a while. It got old, after a while.

For me, the fun part is coming up with new things to BBQ, and playing mad scientist/iron chef in the kitchen. It is a real thrill when you hit one out of the park, too. It's that thrill of "I made that."

So, I now use a WSM with an iQue 110 temperature controller.

Anyway, it can't hurt to play around with a cheap CL stick burner. If you don't like it, you can sell it to someone else on CL.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #21
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks All. I am up for the whole right of passage thing. Also trying to talk a buddy into making a couple of UDS's as well. I have three young sons who will get a kick out of the whole process. Sounds like in a couple of years I will be on the WSM bandwagon with everyone else. Thanks again for the tremendous response and support for my first post.

Of course any additional info on the NB smokers would be great. I can't seem to match the OK Joe with any pics on the net. Not sure if is one or not. I did email Horizon and they said they didn't know what model it was but it was made in NB TX.
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a wsm and my Dad has a very old Oklahoma Joes stick burner. These are the only smokers I have ever used and hands down my wsm is a much better smoker. I have yet to get a good clean burn using the sticks in it and in most cases I use lump in it and a whole lot of it!