Built a firewood rack for 1/2 rick w/ Photo

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I built a firewood rack just the right size for 1/2 rick of wood. It's 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 16 inches deep.

986cyq.jpg

It was made using three cinder blocks, six 2x4's, three cedar fence pickets and about $5 worth of screws and nails. Total cost was around $30 (including all wood, blocks & screws).

The drew up the plan in Google Sketchup--which I'll gladly share with anyone if they want the file.

20q1ctj.png

The rack's base and sides are based off a plan I saw for a firewood rack online--except I went with cinder blocks for feet instead. I then added an upper level--lined with cut cedar pickets--to hold small pieces of wood, kindling & wood chunks.

It is sitting under the eaves of my house right now. I bought a tarp for $5 from harbor freight in case I need to cover it. I am new to firewood storage so this will be a learning experience. I'll keep the tarp off the wood on days it isn't raining to make sure it has adequate airflow to prevent mold, etc..

I plan on fabricating a sloped roof for it that I can just sit on top of it at a later date. I might move the rack and wood away from the house. Right now it isn't touching it though--closest a split is to the house is about 3/4 of an inch.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is interested in the design of it, or can offer me any suggestions. Thanks.

Looks great to me! Google scetch haven't heard of it. :noidea: but i'd like to.

It's free, just google "Google Sketchup" and download. Then watch some tutorial videos on youtube.. Super easy and fun tool. It's hard for me sometimes to picture a 3 dimensional object with 2 dimensional plans.. this application makes things doable for me.

Here are examples of three of the photos of firewood racks I saw online, that helped me come up with the design I chose:

(The base and sides)
x1dd10.png

(the kindling shelf -- I had a better example photo of this but can't seem to find it now)
vg3j9g.png

(cinder block base--to help keep bugs off and preserve the rack)
1scltu.png

Sketchup is a cool tool? Nice work on the rick rack, might want to get yo-self some tin for a top.

Thanks much, sketchup is awesome! :)

Can you elaborate on the tin for the top? Like what type of tin, where I can get it and perhaps an example photo of it being used. I'm really interested thanks!

Did you ever see the tv show? He could make anything out of nothing.

Actually I never watched the show, lol. :duck:

My dad wouldn't let us watch any TV shows that said d*mn or h*ll in it--if they said it even once the entire series was off limits! Which limited us to shows like The Brady Bunch, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, Gilligan's Island, cartoons, Twilight Zone, Chips, Outer Limits, I dream of Jeanie, etc..

Back