16 mesh pepper

MaestroBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Who here uses 16 mesh pepper for their rubs? I am looking into this versus traditional pepper.

• Thanks
Reactions: ECB
Fresh ground pepper is the only pepper to use. Get you some peppercorns and a burr grinder. Then you can have whatever coarseness you want.

I went on a long venture trying to find 16 mesh and went with the coarse ground at Publix. I only use a quarter cup anyway as the final coat. Restaurant Depot has something they call "Butcher Pepper" which looked coarse.

16 Mesh Pepper right here with Prime delivery on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Bay...qid=1542225369&sr=8-3&keywords=16+mesh+pepper

I use Franklin's method and open it up, dump in a bowl, and let it stale for a few days. That way you can rub a buttload on your brisket without blowing your taste buds out. I think for Texas style Brisket it's just as much a texture component on your bark as it is a flavor component.

Thanks all, I will order some off of Amazon. But also plan on trying the stuff at Costco.

I use it. It is a pain in the butt to get for sure but a pound of it lasts a very long time for me since it gets used primarily on beef.. You can get it from the Spice House as well as other places like Monterey Bay Spice Co.

I find fresh ground pepper is too strong if I use the amount needed to help get a nice bark on briskets.

I can find "restaurant grind" pretty easily and usually just go with that, it's slightly finer at 20 mesh vs 16 mesh. You can order 16 mesh pepper from Amazon by the pound. They're close in size, visually at least, so I just kept buying the restaurant grind when I ran out of 16 mesh.

I tried 16 mesh and Costco coarse grind and if I were to put both in front of most, they wouldn't know the difference. Very close and almost identical.

Back