Conch Chowder

Jen i guess i'm the only one who does not know wha conch meat is.... so tell me please..... all i know is the chowder looks divine and i would most definitely kill a bowl or 2 or 3 of it....

No there’s at least two of us. Jeanie knows though - just goes to show you how much smarter Okie gals are than Okie boys. Maybe she’ll coach me up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jen i guess i'm the only one who does not know wha conch meat is.... so tell me please..... all i know is the chowder looks divine and i would most definitely kill a bowl or 2 or 3 of it....

Thanks Paul! The meat is really mild, reminds me of clam or calamari. There are several kinds of conch, but the ones I'm familiar with are those large pink shells that are found off the coast of Florida, the Bahamas, etc.. :grin: Hope you give it a try sometime!

No there’s at least two of us. Jeanie knows though - just goes to show you how much smarter Okie gals are than Okie boys. Maybe she’ll coach me up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

:laugh: Kevin, I'm going to print this off for my Oklahoma male friends. :mrgreen:
Shoot, you probably live closer to conch access than I do. Bet you could find some in Ok city or Dallas if you're ever that way. Keep me posted if you try it please. :-D
Thanks!

Thanks so much, Ulc! I still need to try it ceviche style. Bet it's delicious! :grin:

I used to frequent a small Italian place in my hometown. They made an unbelievable "seafood salad". It was scungili and calamari (conch + squid) in a very vinegary Italian dressing with some aliums. To die for! But I'll bet a ceviche will be as good or better!

I used to frequent a small Italian place in my hometown. They made an unbelievable "seafood salad". It was scungili and calamari (conch + squid) in a very vinegary Italian dressing with some aliums. To die for! But I'll bet a ceviche will be as good or better!

Or octopus, too.

Ed, that sounds fantastic! I'd love to find a recipe for it. Thanks for posting, you've given me more ideas for the remaining conch meat I have in the freezer. :grin:

I’ll take a bowl of that chowder 24/7/365

Last edited:
Forecast tomorrow is heavy rain with a high of 48 :shock:

I think I could use a few bowls of that tomorrow Jeanie, looks delicious, I'm sure it warms the soul :hungry:

Four FOUR pages and not ONE innuendo remark about conch. I don't know whether to be proud or very VERY disappointed.:laugh::laugh::heh::heh:

On topic. I frikkin LOVE every version of chowder so long as it's not red. I like the pressure cooker version of conch or...…. beating the bejeezus out of it. (once again...innuendo moment).

I’ll take a bowl of that chowder 24/7/365
I'd sure trade for some of your chili! lol

Forecast tomorrow is heavy rain with a high of 48 :shock:

I think I could use a few bowls of that tomorrow Jeanie, looks delicious, I'm sure it warms the soul :hungry:

Thanks Kevin! Living where you do, I'm sure you have access to some great conch dishes. I envy you! :grin:

Four FOUR pages and not ONE innuendo remark about conch. I don't know whether to be proud or very VERY disappointed.:laugh::laugh::heh::heh:

On topic. I frikkin LOVE every version of chowder so long as it's not red. I like the pressure cooker version of conch or...…. beating the bejeezus out of it. (once again...innuendo moment).
Thanks Chris! :grin:
I'm a fan of the creamier chowders too.

Jeannie,

Here you go! Improvise as usual! https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/03/how-to-make-italian-seafood-salad.html

There are others out there. The scungilli mostly seems to go in uncooked.
Wow! Looks and sounds incredible! Thank you for the link Ed, I hope to give this a try as soon as I'm able. :grin:

You know where I live and the local cuisine, so just curious- can you smash it flat and chicken fry conchs?

You know where I live and the local cuisine, so just curious- can you smash it flat and chicken fry conchs?
Breaded and fried is the only way I've eaten it here in Michigan, unless someone has used the meat in some seafood chowder. I've found it quite chewy.

Back