MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Packing date question for pork

Just curious to find out if anyone has info on what you consider "Fresh" pork. I've been getting some questionable cases of butts lately from my supplier. I assume the packing date on the case is the kill date. So my question - What timeline for a packing date on the case would be considered fresh. My last order came to me on November 20th and the packing date was October 28th. I opened them on November 21st and they were full of juice in the pack (which I find comes from either old butts or previously frozen butts) and not the best in quality which I felt showed up in the end results of the cook. I've not had this problem until recently and just started to pay attention to the pack date and wondered if you all have a "standard" to go by.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Just curious to find out if anyone has info on what you consider "Fresh" pork. I've been getting some questionable cases of butts lately from my supplier. I assume the packing date on the case is the kill date. So my question - What timeline for a packing date on the case would be considered fresh. My last order came to me on November 20th and the packing date was October 28th. I opened them on November 21st and they were full of juice in the pack (which I find comes from either old butts or previously frozen butts) and not the best in quality which I felt showed up in the end results of the cook. I've not had this problem until recently and just started to pay attention to the pack date and wondered if you all have a "standard" to go by.
I was told by a major packer that the freshness period was 25 days from the pack date for butts and ribs. Looks like you were outside that window.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

Those didn't come from restaurant depot did they? I was in a hurry sunday and didn't look until I got to the restaurant, sure enough they were bad. I usually don't buy butts from there.
Jeff Therrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

US Foods
Old 11-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
FlavorSavor
On the road to being a farker

The pork I typically get from my supplier (Wholesome Foods in Edinburg, VA) is rarely over 2-weeks old. Most are only packaged days before I get them.

However, I received a case of pork butts from Sysco on Monday. I'm cooking this case for another food vendor and she picked up the pork from Sysco's Will Call in Harrisonburg, VA, the same day. Those butts were packed November 4th. They're still insode the food safe window, but I've personally never seen pork that old being sold before from a supplier. Hopefully that means there is a low demand and prices will fall :)