Moose roasts

Jetwash

Found some matches.
G'day,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to do up some moose roasts. From those I've spoke with, mostly agree that q-ing or smoking wouldn't work and that steaming is the best bet. I'm not so sure about that.
I'm hoping that those out there with way more experience than me, can point me in the right way to produce a great moose roast.

Cheers,
Jim
aka Jetwash
Brickman offset
no-name 18" vertical
working on an UDS.

I have enjoyed many moose roasts on my smoker. I like to put on a medium rub and then smoke indirect at about 300 degrees until the meat hits 150-160 internal. I then like to wrap the roast in foil with beef broth seasoned with garlic, pepper, worchestershire and a little hot sauce. Continue to cook on either the smoker or even finish in the oven until the meat hits 200 degrees internal. Let rest for an hour or so in the foil. Then I like to pull the meat and then add back some of the cooking liquid to the pulled meat. I think it is outstanding! I have used this method with deer, elk, moose and caribou.

I have enjoyed many moose roasts on my smoker. I like to put on a medium rub and then smoke indirect at about 300 degrees until the meat hits 150-160 internal. I then like to wrap the roast in foil with beef broth seasoned with garlic, pepper, worchestershire and a little hot sauce. Continue to cook on either the smoker or even finish in the oven until the meat hits 200 degrees internal. Let rest for an hour or so in the foil. Then I like to pull the meat and then add back some of the cooking liquid to the pulled meat. I think it is outstanding! I have used this method with deer, elk, moose and caribou.

Now THIS right here sounds like a viable plan for my 4lb buffalo shoulder roast I'm planning for this Saturday. What smoking temp do you suggest for something this lean?

Back