Salmon...

M

Miguels244

Greetings...
It's been a while, I got my smoker sealed up and sorted out...
that said, I have done some pork butts with great success.

Next up salmon, I have two fillets, one herbed with dill, ginger garlic and oregano, the other with apricot, soysauce, ginger.

Dry salted for a few hours, I will be smoking with apple wood.

pictures later.

Sounds delicious, but I like my smoked salmon unfettered with salt only. Well, maybe a little black pepper.

Cant wait to see the pics.

hunh
Turned out salty, I did the dry kosher salt thing for 1 hour, rinsed and patted dry. Still really good.
I wonder what I did wrong with my salting, and if I really need to salt and cure the fish.

Attachments

• DSCF9578.jpg
    DSCF9578.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF9579.jpg
    DSCF9579.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF9580.jpg
    DSCF9580.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 78
Looks nice.

No, you do not have to cure it if you are hot smoking.

Salmon will drink up a lot of salt fast sitting with a dry cure. Thats why a lot of pople mix sugar and salt for the cure.

Cold smoking usually needs a cure. That you will want to cure cause it will be sitting under 100 degrees for a long amount of time. Curing a weighting will also remove a good deal of moisture so you get a more dense finished product that will be easy to slice thin.

I have tried salting, brining and it always comes out too salty! Never again. Salmon doesn't need much to make it fantastic

Best salmon I've ever done was with a dry cure of salt AND sugar (and various other spices). Never done one with an all salt dry cure. Seems like it would take a lot of the salt though. Guess that means I'm with Cap on this one.

Back