MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Default How many pork butts can handle a 55 gallon UDS?

I'm wondering if is possible to load a UDS with 12 pork butts, six on each grate without problems? I imagine that there will be a huge amount of drippings that might turn off the charcoal.
Has anyone made that many?
thanks!

Last edited by Mauricio; 01-26-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

12!!! Dang!!

Simple answer is no. I can get 8 on mine if I arrange things right and use the lid of my weber kettle.

Now you could do 12 butts if you had 2 drums and did 6 on each. That would be a much easier feat.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Unless you have like 4lb butts its not going to Happen. I've had 4 8lb butts on 1 grate and they were very tight but once they cooked down they fit perfect
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Won't happen.
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Thank you! I saw a picture on the big drum smoker site with 6 pork butts on one grate and was thinking about it.
Seems like is time to build a second drum smoker! where I live there are no offset smokers commercially available to manage large cookings.
have a great weekend.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Can you fit three grates in there? It seems like 6 butts on each grate would be tight unless they're small butts. If they're touching each other, they will take longer to cook.

Can you locate some kind of pan between the racks and coals to catch the drippings? I'm not sure if they'll be a problem bit if they land in a pan they can't be a problem.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1359263686
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.9 KB, 224 views)
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Thanks for posting this image, seems like the more butts you have in there the more humidity in the chamber. With the top grate in place it seems like it could take another 4 butts using a weber lid.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

Best I've done is 80 pounds on 2 grates. I may be able to get more if the sizes were right.
Pugi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Can you fit three grates in there? It seems like 6 butts on each grate would be tight unless they're small butts. If they're touching each other, they will take longer to cook.

Can you locate some kind of pan between the racks and coals to catch the drippings? I'm not sure if they'll be a problem bit if they land in a pan they can't be a problem.
Thanks Hank, I will try to fit as many as I can in a single rack, adding a second rack to place a dripping pan is something that I have had in mind a while ago, I preffer to mix the drippings back into the pulled pork. At least I would like to catch some of it.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Four 8 pounders per rack is my max too. Butt, the top rack would take forever to cook

Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugi View Post
Best I've done is 80 pounds on 2 grates. I may be able to get more if the sizes were right.
This made me think about the average yield per butt, so I guess you end up with 40 pounds of the finished product on a single session.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumJEFF View Post
Four 8 pounders per rack is my max too. Butt, the top rack would take forever to cook
This has been my main concern since I have to plan ahead the time I will start to have them ready by noon the next day, and leave the UDS free for another load of baby backs.
Seems like I will have to start earlier that I thought and let them rest in a cooler as they are getting done.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
This made me think about the average yield per butt, so I guess you end up with 40 pounds of the finished product on a single session.
80 pounds was pre cooked weight. I did not weight post cook weight.
Pugi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #15
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Last month I cooked a case(10 butts) on my UDS's I cooked 5 per and think that would be most. I put 3 of the larger ones on the bottom rack and the smallest 2 on the top. I could probably do 6 butts per drum, but would have to select the smaller ones for the top.

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote