• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

SCA what do you guys think?

Grill graters don’t cost much and will help a lot with appearance. Either that or use cast iron to get a good sear, and practice nailing a medium steak.

Check out the How To BBQ Right (Malcom Reed) video on cooking an SCA steak.

Are grill grates hard to learn to use? If I use cast iron do you mean a cast iron pan or like a universal cast iron grate? Thanks.

grill marks

We cook steaks on a grate like this to get this grill marks. We preheat the grate in there so it's good and hot when the steaks land on it.

Attachments

• 42331121_566209023796511_3995920517159714816_n.jpg
    42331121_566209023796511_3995920517159714816_n.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 182
I would get a set of grill grates. They are simple to use and really help with getting good clean grill marks.

I would get a set of grill grates. They are simple to use and really help with getting good clean grill marks.

I think I am going to order some. I can't seem to make it as good looking as I would like. I am hitting medium doneness. I hate to lose points on appearance.

I entered my first SCA event a few weeks ago (Grill Your Steak Off in West Newton, PA) with my 9yr old son and we both loved it. It was a great time for us to get out of the house and spend time together plus the other teams thought it was awesome he came out and taught him a few things. It was a very family friendly event and I plan on hitting up as many as I can around PA/OH/MD/WV next year.

I went in with very low expectations for placing, I just wanted to see what it was about. I bough my rubs at the store the event was at, went to the Dollar General for additional supplies and cooked on my PBC. I knew I wouldn't get grill marks but the flavor on my practice steak was amazing. I found myself addicted and the fact we were in/out in 8hrs was great for a guy with a crazy shcedule. The biggest thing I learned, ask questions/advice from the teams around you. I ended up having the 1st and 3rd place teams next to me and their tips were invaluable.

Are grill grates hard to learn to use? If I use cast iron do you mean a cast iron pan or like a universal cast iron grate? Thanks.

Cast iron grates can work, but GrillGrates are better for grill marks. If you would rather sear, then a cast iron skillet or flat griddle would work.

Grill Grates are easy to use. Get them hot and put the food on them :-D Just like everything, there are some tricks. I prefer to have them at 600 degrees for SCA steaks (an IR thermometer is a great tool). That gives me good grill marks and still gets some color on the rest of the steak. Too hot and the marks can get scorched and the rest of the steak will be gray. At 600 degrees my cook time is approx. 6 minutes (90 seconds, rotate, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, rotate and 90 more seconds. unless the steak is thin, or at one comp, at a higher temperature to start due to excessive heat, that usually gets to to around 120 internal. Then I move it to indirect and cook to my desired internal temp for medium.

Picked up some steaks from Sam' Club. Going to practice tomorrow night after work. Going to get Tommy to help me tomorrow night too. Should be fun.

Sam’s club steaks are likely to be thicker than what you get at a contest. Keep that in mind during practice

Cast iron grates can work, but GrillGrates are better for grill marks. If you would rather sear, then a cast iron skillet or flat griddle would work.

Grill Grates are easy to use. Get them hot and put the food on them :-D Just like everything, there are some tricks. I prefer to have them at 600 degrees for SCA steaks (an IR thermometer is a great tool). That gives me good grill marks and still gets some color on the rest of the steak. Too hot and the marks can get scorched and the rest of the steak will be gray. At 600 degrees my cook time is approx. 6 minutes (90 seconds, rotate, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, rotate and 90 more seconds. unless the steak is thin, or at one comp, at a higher temperature to start due to excessive heat, that usually gets to to around 120 internal. Then I move it to indirect and cook to my desired internal temp for medium.

Great map for anyone getting started! When will you be posting your video covering current trends on trimming, shaping, and sculpting?:p

Great map for anyone getting started! When will you be posting your video covering current trends on trimming, shaping, and sculpting?:p

I'm not really a video guy :-D

Plus, I have to figure out all of that for myself before I try to teach anyone else.

So, Rusty what did you think?

I think I burned the new paint job right off the charbroil. We didn't come in last. :grin:
Tommy and I are going to be back again.

We had a good time. For our first steak cook off I was happy. We made turn in, we didn't come in last, and I got to spend time with Tommy. Wish there was another one closer this year.

Back