Ever ask for ground bacon in your burger meat?

kcpellethead

Full Fledged Farker
Greetings gang!

Somewhere I read about grinding bacon in with your beef when you grind your own hamburger. Anyone ever do this? It sounds great, but I'd like to know if it works out okay and/or is worthwhile. I tried searching the web, but there are only comments about it without much real info. Would the butcher at your local grocery store do this for you as a special order? I don't own a meat grinder and that's the only way I can figure out to get it done. Thnx for your help and comments. :?:

Rod

P.S. - This doesn't feel very "on topic" but based on the definition of Q-talk, I guess it is. If I'm wrong please move or delete it. Thnx!

I have not tried bacon but see no reason why it would not work. I have used pork fat as part of the mix and that is a good flavor.
Grinding chuck adding bacon (heavy in fat),blue cheese and spices could make great burgers or meatloaf.

Rod,
As to "on-topic", "Q-talk" has really expanded into "Cooking Talk".
Natural evolution.
Your post is perfectly placed and a new one for us :lol:

I do not grind my own meats, but do mix partially cooked bacon into hamburger patties. Or, lay them on top.
The beef and pork mix on flavors is "right on" for me.

We have some "grinders" who will chime in with better input, I am sure.

TIM

hiho,
thats a squealer in some parts! i don't know the ratio but i guess it is no more than one eight to one fourth bacon to beef. also i would try three small test burgers in well, medium and rare to see how you like it. i would go with a thin burger cooked just to done. hope this helps.
phil

I prefer my burgers on the rare side, therefore, I would not add raw bacon to the mix. I have however added cooked bacon to the mix on several occasions. When I was in high school, (way longer than I care to remember), I worked at a restaurant. We had big plastic tubs filled with real bacon bits that went out on the salad bar. When I went to college, they let me buy them for a reasonable price. Good stuff. Made great burgers. Yums.

If you like your burgers well done then go for it, but otherwise, I would not recommend it.

However, PORK FAT RULES!!!!!!

We've used ground pork in meatloaf for years. Ground bacon would definately work well. Just, as Greg pointed out, you will want to make sure it's "done".

When I was in the restaurant biz we used to grind the bacon and then bake it done - we'd then save the fat for seasoning and use the bacon crumbles for topping (like on green beans) and on the salad bar.

Emeril is so right: "Pork fat rules". :D

parrothead said:
I prefer my burgers on the rare side, therefore, I would not add raw bacon to the mix. I have however added cooked bacon to the mix on several occasions.
If you like your burgers well done then go for it, but otherwise, I would not recommend it.

However, PORK FAT RULES!!!!!!

Excellent point Greg. I will have to try that with the cooked bacon for I too am a big fan of rare beef, ground or whole.

I just read a story in the current issue of US News&WR which mentioned that pork is much safer since pigs don't eat garbage any more. A chef named Paul Valenti from NY said he yanks pork chops off the grill "five to seven minutes before I think would be prudent." The point being that pigs have been bred so much leaner to satisfy the demand for "healthy" meat that flavor and tenderness have been sacrificed. The idea is that a slightly rare pork chop might be better. I think it would just about have to be. I may have to try it in the interest of scientific discovery.

Thank you all for your comments. I really had not thought about under cooked bacon in those burgers. Think I'll just smoke it with some cherry and add it on top. As for the medium rare pork chop, I'll have to pass. Let us know how it comes out though :wink:

for my daughters graduation party, i smoked 2 lb of bacon until its was not quite done.. still flexible... then chopped it real fine and added that to 3 lbs of chopped beef. Added in some fine chopped and carmelized vidalia onion and cooked them in the hot spot of the BYC with some of HomeBBQ's Black Jack seasoning... Kids said it was the best burgers they ever had... one asked why her dads dont taste like them... added blue cheese and sauted mushrooms on mine...... came out awesome!! Now im hungry.

We have ground bacon into our venisonburger for a long time. gives it a little fat and a great smokey saltyness

Back