slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I just "discovered" a sirloin cap. I actually never heard of it before until I was watching one of the bbq cooking shows. It seems to be a very large piece of meat, which would be great for a summer bbq.

Does anyone have any experience cooking one? If so, I'd love to hear your methods, recipes, etc.

Peace.

I believe it is very similar to a Picanha-one of the favorites of many people on this site

Shhh ...
Don't tell everyone.
Yes, it's one of my favorite cuts. Also known as coulotte and picanha.

If you search picanha on here, or on YouTube, you will see many amazing and mouth-watering cooks. I did one and posted it here and it was amazing! Definitely put it on your short list of things to try.

Wish I could find it locally. Heck, I wish creekstone offered them as I get most of my meat from them. When I do get it, I order from snake river farms but sometimes their’s tastes a bit too gamey for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's not similar to Picanha, it is Picanha. It's one of my favorite cuts. Slice it into 1.5" thick steaks and DO NOT trim that fat cap :)

It's not similar to Picanha, it is Picanha. It's one of my favorite cuts. Slice it into 1.5" thick steaks and DO NOT trim that fat cap :)

Close, they’re next door neighbors.

Picanha is the same as the rump cap.

a9f3f6232a11f2c554e13d2080aa5edd.jpg

Alternate graphic showing the rump, where the Picanha is shown above

4694f986b41a1de1b850168f180c0675.jpg

Sirloin is right next door. The sirloin cap is also a choice cut, but not the same as Picanha.

I order it from my butcher as a sirloin cap and get a picanha. A quick google search turned up this explanation:

In the U.S., the picanha is often called the top sirloin cap (culotte or coutlotte) but the most accurate translation is the rump cap. It is the smaller rump cap that is on the side opposite the tri tip cut.

Looks like we are both right?

I'm 99.9% certain that "sirloin cap" sold in the US is what's labeled Picanha in Brazil. But I'm not a fish monger so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm 99.9% certain that "sirloin cap" sold in the US is what's labeled Picanha in Brazil. But I'm not a fish monger so take that with a grain of salt.

I know I can visit my local meat processor and order rump cap and will receive a Picanha.
Whether they’re cutting it from the rump or sirloin is anybody’s guess.

If you have a Publix nearby, I have found it in the meat cooler very often lately. Decent price, too.

Publix carries whole Sirloins (in the back) and they've always been happy to cut the cap off for me.

It's good. Slice and skewer it before cooking. Do it over charcoal. Enjoy the sear. Slice and cut into little meat pencils so everyone get a piece of the fat.

FUVxMeVXoAEWSa3

FUSXCgoWAAQJu5c

Back