Aged briskets for contest.

G

ganso

Is this done for all contests? Lots of recipes but none really touch on contests style, a couple of the books talk a little about it. I know ya have to start somewhere, but what the heck you all have been doing this for years. So why not start close to the top :-D. Just asking, thanks.

IMO, everyone has their own way of doing things. Some wet age, some dry age, and some don't age at all. Me? I don't age them myself. I get my contest briskets from a local butcher. If they are aged I'm not aware of it. Aging doesn't seem to be a real big thing in competition from what I see personally. Most use a packer straight from the bag.

I'm not sure aging can be noticed as much with a lot of rub and some sauce, with the one or two bites a judge takes. It would make a great experiment, though!

Kobe/Wagyu brisket may make a much bigger difference, though.

has anybody ever wet aged then put them in the freezer then defrosted for a contest?

Aging makes a brisket more tender and flavorful. It also makes it somewhat drier. I always wet age beef whether it is steak or brisket. And you can age and then freeze. Don't even think about dry aging. It requires great climate control and expertise.

I wet age and believe it gives a better flavor. I think an aged brisket is more moist because some of the muscle fibers have broken down. If you use a product like Butchers BBQ Brisket marinade and use CAB branded beef, it will be more moist than any standard choice brisket with a kill date within the last week.

Sled, when my briskets get to the point where I don't want to age them anymore and I haven't cooked them yet, I will toss them in the freezer. I just cooked one this week from the Royal, so it had been in the freezer for about 2 1/2 months. It was fantastic!

Anyone who has ever eaten aged beef, properly cooked, alongside unaged beef, properly cooked, will tell you that there is a marked difference in the flavor.

This is just my opinion but I think using aged beef in competition, specifically brisket, is not important unless you can cook any brisket to a consistent doneness and tenderness each and every time. I know that I spent a lot of time thinking about all the "extras" like aging but what I really needed to do was simply learn how cook that confounded hunk 'o cow.

Maybe one day I'll accomplish that and then I'll start thinking about aging again.

Anyone who has ever eaten aged beef, properly cooked, alongside unaged beef, properly cooked, will tell you that there is a marked difference in the flavor.

This is just my opinion but I think using aged beef in competition, specifically brisket, is not important unless you can cook any brisket to a consistent doneness and tenderness each and every time. I know that I spent a lot of time thinking about all the "extras" like aging but what I really needed to do was simply learn how cook that confounded hunk 'o cow.

Maybe one day I'll accomplish that and then I'll start thinking about aging again.

You are ABSOLUTELY right.

Ok I think I know the idea behind dry aging. Like humidity and temp controlled for X time. What is wet aging? Like marinating? Thanks!

Back