Pit Barrel Cooker

SPRfree

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Brethren

Has anyone used the pit barrel cooker?

I was looking to increase my cooking area with limited dollars and NO skill in making a UDS.

Thanks in advance for your reviews, thoughts, and advice.

You don't need skill to make a UDS. Buy you a unlined , deheaded new drum. You need a power drill and get you a 1" hole saw. get you the bottom and top grate from and old weber. Get you a 60" x 8" piece of expanded steel and you're good to go.

Brethren

I was looking to increase my cooking area with limited dollars and NO skill in making a UDS.

I think you should have a little more confidence in yourself. It looks like a daunting task but its really quite simple. AND even if you make one that's not "perfect" it will still make a damn good rack of ribs.

Brethren

I'm right there with ya buddy. I grew up on those things. I also like the versatility of them. You can move the meat over far enough for indirect, or have increased grilling area for steaks and whatnot.

I think this is the third Pit Barrel Cooker post I've seen today. Is there a spammer in our midst? :mod:

Yup, I have a few review posts on the Pit Barrel Cooker. I have two homemade UDS's and in all honesty I've quit using them since I got my PBC -- even in competition. It's a different animal than a UDS and the results from it are nothing short of amazing.

John

P.S. I am not sponsored or in any other way compensated by The Pit Barrel Cooker Company. I just appreciate an outstanding product that is 100% made in America by a fellow veteran. And, yes, it really is a game changer.

Last edited:
$300 for a drum.???

Get real.

It's not just "a drum". It's high-temp powder-coated and very well-made. I put about that much money into each of my UDS's and I didn't come close to the quality. I'd trade both of my UDS's for one PBC almost any day.

Also, the price includes FedEx shipping anywhere in the US.

I am real -- real satisfied. ;-)

John

Last edited:
My BIL's BIL has been cooking in a drum for years, I had assumed it was a UDS all along but it is just a drum with basically no mods, no vents certainly not as nice as a PBS but cooks the same. The rebars for hanging the meats just lays on top of the drum and the lid sits on top of the rebar the gap created is both the inlet and exhaust. I am very impressed on the food it turns out.

garbagecans.jpg

I'm coming in a few months late but..What a great cooker, got a pit barrel cooker a few weeks ago and have cooked spares, baby backs, game hens, and chuck roast..all turned out great. The cooker is so easy to use and clean up after a cook...much easier than my 22" WSM. Can't wait to cook a pork butt and brisket.
BGE
WSM
22" Modified Weber kettle
Traeger LitTex
Weber Gas Grill

I think this is the third Pit Barrel Cooker post I've seen today. Is there a spammer in our midst? :mod:

It is interesting now that I am noticing it too. Its like people come in we have never seen before (or are relatively new) and ask about where they can get there hands on the PBC. Like, doesn't anyone google anymo.... oh yes, I forget. The brethren is such a colosuss of anything Q that it eclipses even PBC's own propoganda.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Yes, we are all smitten with the PBC and those of us that have a UDS now look back and wish we have bought one.... except for those that don't.

I'm coming in a few months late but..What a great cooker, got a pit barrel cooker a few weeks ago and have cooked spares, baby backs, game hens, and chuck roast..all turned out great. The cooker is so easy to use and clean up after a cook...much easier than my 22" WSM. Can't wait to cook a pork butt and brisket.
BGE
WSM
22" Modified Weber kettle
Traeger LitTex
Weber Gas Grill

T Lillard - We are so glad that you joined the BBQ Brethren to come into this thread, before saying or commenting on anything else, in any other thread to chime in on this product. Even before cattle call. For the record, back two names ago in 2006 or 7, my first post officially was to ask a question about the then, solution to all our BBQ problems, the Stoker. There has to be a first post, right?

Back