• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM Vortex?

the vortex traditionally used in kettles works well. I dont think it would give much benefit with the distance in a wsm. some do use a vortex basket in wsm or drums but I believe this is a different kind of vortex.....the hunsaker kind if I'm not mistaken

I use it on my WSM 14.5 all the time. I do 2 things. I put it on the lower grate to one side so i can add wings or just put charcoal in the bowl and put the vortex on that with no bottom grate.

Hi All Does the Vortex work good on a WSM 22" for wings??

Thanks DanB
Works good on ribs
9b8427ae5f497e2d0f3015e42c1ceb10.jpg
dfdb061a75b4d98d392064db42e5b6a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vortex for a WSM 22"

Hi All got me a 6 1/2" SS pet water bowl, at Walmart going to cut it make into a home made Vortex. Going try it out on my WSM 22". Just need the weather to warm up a bit.
Best way to cut the bottom of the bowl?
Dan B

Hi All got me a 6 1/2" SS pet water bowl, at Walmart going to cut it make into a home made Vortex. Going try it out on my WSM 22". Just need the weather to warm up a bit.
Best way to cut the bottom of the bowl?
Dan B
I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, could have used a saber saw or circular saw with a carbide blade. Safety first.
picture.php

I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, could have used a saber saw or circular saw with a carbide blade. Safety first.
picture.php

Hi looks like my bowl.How about a Dremel with a cut off wheel?
THanks DanB

Hi looks like my bowl.How about a Dremel with a cut off wheel?
THanks DanB
That would work, probably do a neater job. SS is hard, though, so I would pick up the big pack of cut-off wheels.

Why are you so interested in making Vortex? You can pile lit charcoal in the center of the charcoal grate and that will do the same thing. For wings, you want to cook with high heat so just remove the water pan and cook with full it charcoal with all the vents wide open. Heck, you could just place your lit charcoal chimney inside. Just remove the water pan and the lower cooking grate and place your chimney inside. I don't have 22" WSM but it should fit. Your chimney can be your Vortex. No mod or silly purchase needed.

Why are you so interested in making Vortex? You can pile lit charcoal in the center of the charcoal grate and that will do the same thing. For wings, you want to cook with high heat so just remove the water pan and cook with full it charcoal with all the vents wide open. Heck, you could just place your lit charcoal chimney inside. Just remove the water pan and the lower cooking grate and place your chimney inside. I don't have 22" WSM but it should fit. Your chimney can be your Vortex. No mod or silly purchase needed.

I've read other posts where they make a Vortex of a pet bowl.So why not give it a try, better then spending $35.00 + shipping.
My bowl is only 3.5" high hope it works>
Thanks DanB

Sheet metal (aviation) snips are the easiest way to cut the bottom out of a dog bowl.

Sheet metal snips work fine. Start a hole by whacking the side of a flat blade screwdriver with a hammer.

Hi Why don't you see it working on my WSM 22"?
THanks DanB

With a Vortex, the heat is directed up and gets reflected off of the lid, then radiates back down again. It's been year's since I have owned a WSM, but I seem to remember the grate level being much further away from the fire which would drop grate temps considerably. They key here is high grate temp's which cook wings quickly with crispy skin.

With a Vortex, the heat is directed up and gets reflected off of the lid, then radiates back down again. It's been year's since I have owned a WSM, but I seem to remember the grate level being much further away from the fire which would drop grate temps considerably. They key here is high grate temp's which cook wings quickly with crispy skin.

Hi I will have to check that out. Maybe a taller bowl would fix that problem. My bowl is 3 1/2" high.
Thanks DanB

Back