MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

Default Freezing and re-freezing.

I'm wondering if you people might have some tips and tricks regarding freezing and re freezing stuff.

A few things on my mind include:

I've always heard that you should not re freeze meats after they are thawed. Then I've heard that its OK if you don't let the meats get to room temp. Sometimes I buy meat that is labeled "previously frozen". Partcularly wild shrimp, spares and baby backs. I typically will freeze these items when I get home.

Are there general guide lines on how long you can keep stuf frozen?

I've also heard that the chest type freezers are better for preventing freezer burn than the upright - frost free ones. Any truth to that or is it only the wrapping/sealing that matters?

I have a co worker that only uses the white freezer wrap paper and tape for all his frozen items. (When I was a kid my parents would buy a half or whole cow at the butcher shop and it would all be wrapped and labeled in the white paper.) I am thinking that the vacuum seal Food Saver method is the best way to freeze items that can have most all of the air removed. How about items like chicken quarters/breasts where the air can't be totally removed. Would it be better to freeze in water to prevent freezer burn?

More??
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
bbqjoe
Banned

Man that's alot a questions. I'm gonna go have a beer and think about it all. I'll get back to ya!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
bbqjoe
Banned

There really aren't any health laws that I know of that specifically apply to freezing, except that you want to do it as fast as possible, just as with any cooling.

I also believe that you might end up with a dryer piece of meat by refrezing a previously frozen product.

When I do refreeze I usually a heavy ziplock, and try to remove as much air as possible to avoid freezer burn.

It just downright pisses me off when they thaw a product that came to them frozen. I would rather take it frozen and thaw it when I'm ready.

I have never tried freezing in water, so I don't know about that.

But I'm sure scientifically speaking, something must occur physically to meat when it is frozen.

I don't have a vaccumm sealer but if I did I would guess that would be the best way to freeze.

Joe
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I can vouch for freezing in water. My dad froze all of our Crappie filets in freezer ziplocks with water in them. really seemed to reduced the chance of freezer burnt fish. it took up a chit load of space though.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

I've noticed that re-frozen meat somtimes develops a 'mushy' consistency.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Vac seal chix, beef, and pork. Freeze fish in water. Never refreeze thawed meat. Okay to refreeze cooked meat.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote