MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #46
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Phil,

I understand what you are saying. To a rookie team like mine, we could care less because the odds of winning an event at this point is slim. To the better teams though, they are competing for some relatively big bucks. Grand Champions can take home anywhere from $3000 to $8000 for a large contest. As soon as money enters the picture, things change.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #47
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

It's been a coupl eof years since we beat this one to death , but I'm judging my first competition this coming weekend, aqnd I plan on walking around (incognito, of course ) on Saturday evening (it is a Saturday-Sunday competition) to visit the Brethren teams and the whole gaggle of local teams that I have gotten to know at other comps. The consensus from the old posts seems to be: Visit, stay out front and out of the cooking area, and don't fly any one's colors. Do you all still agree with this?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #48
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

This is one of the few "resurrections" that we have suffered recently that really warrant it--thanks

This was a grand and enlightening discussion that holds true today.
Thanks to all that provided input!
Brethren Integrity!

TIM

Moderator's Note--I just made this a Sticky--I think it is that important!
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #49
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
It's been a coupl eof years since we beat this one to death , but I'm judging my first competition this coming weekend, aqnd I plan on walking around (incognito, of course ) on Saturday evening (it is a Saturday-Sunday competition) to visit the Brethren teams and the whole gaggle of local teams that I have gotten to know at other comps. The consensus from the old posts seems to be: Visit, stay out front and out of the cooking area, and don't fly any one's colors. Do you all still agree with this?
Agreed Ron, I will be doing the same this weekend and I plan on having a good time in a tasteful manner as to not create a problem for any brethren teams.

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #50
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Thanks to Ron for resurrecting this and to Tim for making it a sticky. I had never ran across this one and it was very relevent to me.

I will be judging my first contest in a couple of weeks. It is close to my hometown and I have been looking forward to seeing some of the Brethren I met at my first comp a month ago and meeting some new Brothers (to me) as well. I will try to say hello to everyone on Friday night... maybe share a beer and a laugh and then move on.

Saturday after judging I will be glad to help anyone with any breakdown or whatever but will not go by anyone's area on Saturday morning.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #51
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

The 2007 Judges CD they play at the Judges Meeting clearly states that no judge shall fraternize with any team the the day of the contest until the judging has been completed. The old rule was no contact after the judges meeting had been held. In either case the night before is OK, and with all things, everything in moderation.....
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #52
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's really too bad that KCBS changed the no frat rule to ANY contact the morning of the contest. There were a couple contests I judged last year that I didn't make Fri. night. I showed up early to walk through and say hi to teams I met before and to meet some new teams ( this is why I judge).
I never stayed long and just made chit-chat and after the judges meeting stayed clear. Apparently a few have ruined it for all.
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #53
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

The reason the KCBS changed the Saturday rule is that some judges were abusing their status(in their own minds). Some judges felt they could waltz into a camp, poke around, open the smoker, and generally act like the had no boundries.

If you've ever competed, you know that Saturday morning flat out not the time for chit chat...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #54
MilitantSquatter

Jeff - Where did you get that info from ? I don't recall ever hearing that as the reason.. Much different than what was posted in earlier posts..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #55
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

I learned that from Merl Whitebrook.

I'm sure the conflict of interest issues came into play as well.
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #56
J Appledog
On the road to being a farker

I judge a bit, compete a little and am a KCBS rep-in-training. How do I identify fellow Brethren?
and Shirley, the Lang

FBA; GLBBQ; KCBS CBJ
Team Mrs. Dog's M22 BBQ

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. Humphrey Bogart[/FONT]
J Appledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #57
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Appledog View Post
I judge a bit, compete a little and am a KCBS rep-in-training. How do I identify fellow Brethren?
Identifying Brethren is really not central to this thread.
I hope it is about the awareness of "perceptions" as we compete and judge.

Beyond that--some teams have bought banners, tee shirts, and "whatever" with our distinctive logo.

Otherwise, look for Margarita machines, boom/karaoke boxes, and other signs of demented cookers among the party crowd.

And, finally, print a list of the "Brethren Members Teams" and take it with you

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #58
J Appledog
On the road to being a farker

Where does one buy t-shirts or "whatever" with the logo? I know few cookers who aren't a bit demented, Tim!

The list is a good idea....
and Shirley, the Lang

FBA; GLBBQ; KCBS CBJ
Team Mrs. Dog's M22 BBQ

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. Humphrey Bogart[/FONT]
J Appledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #59
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

This is the first time I have seen this thread and as I have been reading through the posts I think this topic is great. I am not a judge but do compete. I have not had this issue come up so I have never even thought about it but as I was reading I have to agree with Dr BBQ's first post on the second page. Obviously double blind judging is there to eliminate judges from knowing who's entries are who's. This should permanently and forever eliminate anyone's complaining if a judge is hanging out with any one team no matter what the circumstances. I see Ray's point about Poobah cooking prime rib in one of our guys tents and think it was a very classy call to make just getting them to take a look at what was going on. We all know that it's very difficult to realize that you may be doing something stupid when you obviously don't have it in your head that you are. But I will say that although these competitions are expensive and time consuming and a lot of us take this sport very seriously, there is a reason we all do this. I don't even think it's really all about BBQ. It's the comraderie! Where else can you go and drink beer with your best friends, hang out all night without the wives nagging you, compete in something you love with the passion that makes life grand? In my opinion if you take away the hanging out or comraderie the sport dies, period! Again I see the gray area and think this topic is fantastic but bbq cooks are judges and vice versa so the same people who compete with their friends, judge their friends and so on. Forbid that friendship and you will end up with no one wanting to judge, thus no competition. Make judging triple blind and blindfold the damn judges lol cause I'm hanging out with my bbq brothers until the sun comes up Saturday morning. At that time I will clink my coffe cup with my friends and bid them farewell and good luck cause I have a job to do and that job is to find the best bbq cooks in the world, no matter if they are my brothers or not. This is the way it should be. Use your farking head, get out of the tent when Saturday rolls around, don't touch the pit Friday night, go around and wish all the teams good luck cause even though they may not be a member of our site we are all in fact brothers in barbecue. Some of us are just smarter than others and know to hang with the cool crowd.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #60
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm just disappointed I didn't get any of the prime rib in Key Largo back in 2005...

...of course I probably didn't know any of you back then...
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote