Two 8 pound butts in a Mini UDS

M

Matt_A

After careful measurement I have discovered that the two 8 lb butts I have will snugly, but properly fit in my Smoky Joe Mini UDS. I'm starting them in the wee hours of the morning tomorrow and will post pictures.

That should be interesting. Do you think you'll have to refuel during the cook?

Woohoo, ow man the anticipation of really good pron is almost as good as the pron itself

Nice. On one rack or did you build two levels? Can't recall from your previous pics. I just put two 8lbs butts on the offset at 5 am. Bet I can guess who will use more fuel today!

Hey Matt ~ after my marathon cook on Mini Me a few weekends ago, I struggled with ash after 5+ hours; I used Stubbs natural briquettes.

Your thoughts on avoiding or circumventing the ash issue? BTW, I didn't PM you because I thought the brethren would like to know your thoughts as well.

Couple of answers:
Two levels, each but is about 12" at it's longest dimension, Baby Bullet is 13 7/8" in diameter. Racks are 4" apart which is JUST enough for the butt on the bottom.

I've only cooked one long cook in the Baby Bullet, 7 hours for chuck short ribs. I started a little low on fuel and had to add some at the 4 hour mark. At the end of the seven hours I had about an inch of ash in the bottom (Smokey Joe Gold - no bottom vent). This time I'm using the Minion Method with a full charcoal basket and only about 6 hot coals to get things going. I used Jack Daniel's charcoal for both smokes.

Time to start the Pr0n!!

OK, here's the raw product.

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

After a night in the rub.... into the smoker

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

[FONT=&quot]Matt's Classic Butt Rub

[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] 1 cup white sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] 1 cup paprika[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] 2/3 cup garlic salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] 2/3 cup kosher salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup brown sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 teaspoons oregano leaves[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoon ancho chili powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] 3 teaspoon ground cumin[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] 2 teaspoon black pepper[/FONT]
The RIG.... two thermos go all the way in for internal meat temp, two probes sample smoke chamber temp to cross check the two analog smoke thermos.

IMG_2379.JPG

The beautiful Honduran Rosewood handle from Marty Leach. http://www.amlwoodart.com/Weber-Handles.html

IMG_2380.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it! Thanks for putting up those pix! :thumb:

The charcoal basket isn't essential for the mini to work. It helps keep things organized and gives a little better air circulation, but if you want to do a first smoke, the existing charcoal grate should work just fine.

I have put my tamale steamer insert in for this smoke tO see how well that works. So far 2 hrs in, the temp is steady at 230ºf

I'm sure you'll enjoy you mini!

I have put my tamale steamer insert in for this smoke tO see how well that works. So far 2 hrs in, the temp is steady at 230ºf

I believe you'll find the steamer insert makes an excellent heat sink. With it, mine will maintain 230ºf without effort. Can't wait to see the finished pron! :thumb:

Question...do you guys think you could use an SJG and do an SJS vent mod on it to help remove some of the ash on these longer cook?
You may not have the interior wing scrappers but might be able to evacuate some ash build up.

Just something to kick around...

Maybe someones done something like this?

With a SJS it would be possible because the vent is on the bottom, SJG, you'd have to modify it to get the ash out.

Got 5.5 hours of steady heat so far, I just checked the fuel and decided to add some before the temp started to drop.

Back