MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Default frozen ribs??

Is it just me or ? It seems when i freeze ribs in vac pac or the original vac pac they dont seem to cook as nice? they almost seem dry? spares and baby backs i tried em with. Cooked spares today in my party, ran 250 they had a real nice look around 2hr mark, foiled em till they seemed tender, sauced em up back in for about 10. They seemed like they had some extra membrane action going on like around the bones- i removed the bottom membrane - they were extra cartilagee like a beef rib? and you couldnt just bite through? Is it because they were frozen?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I pulled it back with the fork

Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I cook frozen ribs a lot and haven't noticed any difference. I buy them when I find ones I like and freeze them until I need them.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing to do with them being frozen from my point of view, more of a characteristic of spares. I vac seal baby backs all the time with no adverse side effects.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I thought the meat may have been on the dry side too, i can do baby back no prob. But thats just how some spares will be?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

I've never had a issue

Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

General rule of thumb, spares have more fat content, so they tend to cook up more moist and tender. Loin backs are leaner, and can easily get dried out and tough just like overcooking a pork loin in my experience.

I'd have to see some pics of the cooked rack to get a better idea of what is going on. First guess is they weren't cooked long enough to allow the magic to happen. But looking at the pic it appears the bone released from the meat, so I don't know.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with them being frozen.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I smoked some frozen (then thawed) ribs last week and they were the best ribs I'd ever done!

I've done frozen ones before and they weren't so good. Not sure there's any correlation there . . .

Old 01-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

The ribs you buy from the grocery frequently have arrived there frozen. Generally speaking, refreezing previously frozen meat has a negitive effect on meat quality due to the effect ice crystals have on cell structure.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
The ribs you buy from the grocery frequently have arrived there frozen. Generally speaking, refreezing previously frozen meat has a negitive effect on meat quality due to the effect ice crystals have on cell structure.
And now science comes into play.The cells expand through the freezing process robing fluids in the thawing process.If done multiple times it leaves the cells with the inability to absorb moisture through the cooking process rendering the cells only allowing the remaining cells less affected to absorb fluids.Think of it as a liquid filled balloon with a puncture in it and the fluid releases,if there is enough moisture holding capability through Osmosis than your good.But if not then you have to deal with fluid(moisture) loss which has to be replaced.JMHO.

Thanks from:--->