MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default WSM, Build or BGE Decision

I am in somewhat of a quandry here and could use some feedback. I have an older Weber Performer that I am in the process of fixing the clean out system. As it is Weber does not carry the parts I need for the older style bowl, so I had to buy a new bowl. With that my Performer will be like new, almost, and I can upgrade to the one-touch ingition system. The only bowl available now has the holes for the gas tube. So this may be the way to go. In any event my grill will work now. As for my other issue is this.

1.) Should I use my old bowl and top to build a WSM with the addition of a Cajun Bandit insert. Estimated price of project $350. Would need a new top for my Performer.

2.) Belly up and buy the Weber 22 1/2" WSM for $399

3.) Go whole Hog and get the 18 1/2" BGE for about $900 with some added dodads

Building would be fun although I'd rather cook. The WSM is less money and I think would allow me to do other things that I may not be able to do on the BGE, like smoke sausage in the vertical position. The BGE is also capacity limited when compared to the WSM.

What are the thoughts of WSM, BGE and Cajun Bandit owners.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Get that 22.5 and you will never be sorry.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

A Performer, a UDS(cost of the barrel 'cause you have the rest) and a BGE- you would have it all.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

I had to look up "cajun bandit" $195 seems kinda steep when you can make one from the middle of a 55-gallon drum. Here's one I made or just build a UDS

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.

Last edited by Mark; 10-26-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
oldpro
Knows what a fatty is.

I have also been looking at getting a BGE or a WSM.

I have pretty much made up my mind to get a WSM. I dont cook for a bunch of people anymore, so is the 18 1/2 inch model what I need? There is around a $100 difference in that and the 22 1/2 inch model. Will the small one do everything as well as the big one, just with less grill space?

I used to cook quite a bit at our deer lease with one of the early model Brinkmann water smokers. It worked, but is apparently a far cry from the WSM in both quality and ease of use. I have two offset stick burners, so it's not like I don't have anything to cook on. I'm just getting too lazy to have to keep babying them to keep the right temperature.

I became interested in the WSM because of this forum. It looks like a lot of folks are using them in competitions. From what I'm reading, they sure make it easier to get the right temperature and keep it there.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
oldpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

In one online review of the 22-1/2" WSM, the reviewer said he couldn't get the temperature under 275. Can anyone else confirm or disprove that? I would love to get one, but had decided on the 18-1/2" because I prefer to cook at 225-250.
markrvp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

I don't have any of those, but from reading your post I think you should go with the WSM 22.5.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

If money isn't the issue, the BGE will give you the most versatility. You can do everything you can do in a UDS or a WSM in a BGE and lots more.

That being said, I have a WSM and love it. Though I will be getting a BGE soon.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
swamprb

Dayum! I wish you would have consulted some of the Weber experts before you dropped the cash for an new bowl for the Performer, that couldn't have been cheap? There are alternatives to the One-Touch and Ash can assembly that would have been a lot simpler.

Unless your old stainless Performer didn't have the Touch n' Go charcoal starter or the burner tube was shot and that was your only option? Do you have the gas line and tank cover?

Here is a Cajun Bandit on my Performer with the EZ-Que rotisserie ring.

I just did that cook to say I did it, but the rotisserie with the CB is just a bit too high to comfortably work with-I'm 6' 2" and it was a stretch for me!

But without the rotis ring and just the Cajun Bandit and the Performer lid it is an ideal working space.

As for using your old bowl for a Cajun Bandit, I think it would look weird, but doable. Is the burner tube still intact?

Here are mine side x side (CB has the Weber rotis ring on)

I just added an OTG ashpan to my Cajun Bandit and it looks a lot nicer than that flimsy aluminum disc from the OTS.

Sounds like you don't need my opinion to help you spend your money, but I use my BGE's and Cajun Bandit more than I use the 22" WSM, its primarily our Rib machine for comps and for that it kicks a$$! I think its a fuel hog and I use smaller charcoal rings for it when I do pull it out of the trailer to cook mass quantities!

Can I be anymore help?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Default I think I've got it

Just got off the phone with Weber, and here's the scoop. My Performer did not have the burner assembly, "Touch n' Go". All I really needed was the ash cleanout blades and a new ring to hold the ash can. Weber told me because they changed the design for the cleanout system I needed a new bowl. The bowl they sent me was for the burner system, (3) additional holes in the side. So I called them and asked to get the burner, ignitor and regualtor assembly. They told me they could not sell me these parts to convert my grill and said they had sent the wrong bowl. They would pick it up on thier dime and ship me the correct bowl. Well, after looking at how the "New and Improved" ash and vent control system hooked up to the new bowl, I suddanly realized this should, I hope, fit my old bowl. I will work on this in the morning. If all goes well, my Performer will be up and running again, the new bowl goes back to Weber and there will be a WSM 22 1/2" in my future. As for the BGE that will have to wait Thanks for all of your help guys.
Kitchen stove

Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
swamprb

Here is the schematics link for future reference. Know your grill and the parts you want to order. It makes modding easier and you won't get the "I'm sorry....BS" from Weber!

http://www.weber.com/PublicSchematic/Default.aspx
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Here is the schematics link for future reference. Know your grill and the parts you want to order. It makes modding easier and you won't get the "I'm sorry....BS" from Weber!

http://www.weber.com/PublicSchematic/Default.aspx
Had the schematic, my original owners manual and serial number. Still didn't work. But I bookmarked this site for future Weber reference.

Thanks
Kitchen stove

Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
Eljay
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
In one online review of the 22-1/2" WSM, the reviewer said he couldn't get the temperature under 275. Can anyone else confirm or disprove that? I would love to get one, but had decided on the 18-1/2" because I prefer to cook at 225-250.
That's crazy talk. I have one and it's been no problem at all to stay in 225-250.
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
NorthwestBBQ

Get 22.5 WSM and be happy for the rest of your life.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #15
dwmckay99
Knows what a fatty is.

I own a Large BGE and a couple of other smokers. I use it a lot, but my feelings about the BGE are ambivalent. Personally, I think it's one of the most overrated BBQ products out there.

I would love to get a Stoker and one of the Weber dome smokers.
dwmckay99 is offline   Reply With Quote