MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #106
fatty
On the road to being a farker

Hey there folks!

Glad to have found this site and joined up!
I have a dera and it was like buying a pant size...between my weber performer and this bandera I am fat!
so I bought it from a man who brang it up from Texas he passed and the family did not want it. It was mint went i got it but over the years between the crap cover, a blue tarp and Canadian winters it has surface rust all over.
I read the 101 mods and that is happening asap. baffle fire box and fire bricks...I do alot of montreal style smoked meat briskets...I am fat...
so I am debating on taking it apart and painting it or just painting it as is... i have started sanding by hand with wire brush and sand paper.
questions:
what paint should i use to repaint the out side?
if i take it apart what should the new bolts and nuts be made of, anything special?
inside the fire box and the smoker box there is some surface rust too...do you repaint the insides of these? the fire box I am not to worried about but the smoker box...should I paint in there, or just sand and season with a few coats of vegetable oil...I don't want to lose all the seasoning that is in there but i do not want it to rust.
Covers who has a good idea for covers?
OK well thanks and i hope to contribute thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-29 13.17.55.jpg (25.7 KB, 1010 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-29 13.18.04.jpg (27.2 KB, 1002 views)

Last edited by fatty; 04-30-2013 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #107
btemplet
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

how do i find this mod file

Thanks Bill
btemplet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #108
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btemplet View Post
how do i find this mod file

Thanks Bill
I think what you are looking for is on the 1st page of this thread.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #109
Georgiaboy98
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

I bought a bandera years ago and cooked on it a few times with limited success. On a whim I searched google the other day and found this board. I am so excited to try the mods and get her running again!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #110
Fdh1965
Found some matches.

A friend of mine has a bandera since I saw his, i have been looking for one. While I was visiting my dad this week he showed me his smoker that he can't use anymore and has been trying to get rid of. As the cover came off I was amazed that it was a bandera! He offered it to me. So now it's in pieces in the back of my SUV and going home with me. I restoring it a will be doing the mods to get it up and running. Can't wait.
Fdh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #111
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
it hasnt been updated, (I wrote it), but it covers all the mods.. The only thing is the charcoal baskets they we were making are no longer in production for them. U would have to find a welder to make one for u.
What are the dimensions of the basket that was being made? I'll be making mine this weekend, likely, and was curious if there was a preferred size. Was it sectioned off?

Otherwise, I'll be measuring and building off of that. I just don't want to have failed to consider the benefit of another particular size.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #112
CPSpaulding
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I have a question for the people putting fire bricks in the bottom of the fire box. Do you just set the ash tray firectly on top of the fire bricks now?

I have read about people raising the ash tray off the bottom of the fire box to help prevent rust, but didn't know how people did it with fire bricks.

Thanks.
CPSpaulding is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #113
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Drill a hole in each corner of the ashpan and take a 1 inch long machine screw, with 2 nuts and washers and sandwich the ash pan between the nuts. Do that at each corner to create a leg.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #114
bvbull200
Take a breath!

How can you tell the difference between the older Banderas and the "newer" ones? Are either of these the more desirable ones? (One is mine, the other is a CL find)

CL Find:

Mine:

Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #115
fatty

Ok here goes...
I sanded the outside, repainted scrapped and sanded the inside. did the baffle mod and got the fire bricks and raised the basket in the fire box...here is a photo...
you can see the difference.

i did not re paint anything on the inside of the meat box or the fire box just sanded and cleaned.

I seasoned with olive oli a few times in the first burn and will be smoking a 10 kilo pork leg once it finishes brining...
what do y'all think!

Also I have made the baffle extra long will this change the temp in the smoker box?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-10-01 13.42.42.jpg (66.2 KB, 796 views)

Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #116
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

wow nice job!!

looks great
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #117
fatty

Thanks man! love this piece!

And thanks to the site for the great info!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #118
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Bandera is what prompted the creation of my Earl! Nice rig!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #119
fatty

Question, I made the baffle extra long do you think this will mess up the temperature...I can easly cut it to the specs of the doc...The photo is not great but you can see the lip extends out about 3 inches more than the tech spec...i though it would be good? comments?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-10-22 22.02.04.jpg (28.4 KB, 775 views)

Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #120
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

nope.. your getting the heat under the water pan.. thats the idea.. if you see the right side runs cooler, drill a few 1/2" holes in the baffle close to the wall so heat escapes upward.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bandera 101