MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #61
TxGambler
Got Wood.

Default Have Questions

First of all Love the forum. I got my smoker off craigslist and have restored about half of it. I have a few questions, Is there any videos on the proper use of the smoker. next explain the water bath? I have no way to or ability to make the heat diverter are there any for sale?

Thanks for the help.
TxGambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #62
Jiga
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default New guy

Hey guys and gals,
New member here.
Not only am I new to the site but also new to smoking.
Anyway... I love the taste of smoked meat and I was thinking about building a smoker.
Well that was until my friend found me this Bandera on Craigslist for $30.
I knew nothing about this smoker which is how I ended up finding this site.
This looks like an awesome forum and I look forward to learning the tricks of the trade from you all.
I plan on totally refurbishing the smoker after the holidays.
All I did to it so far was slap a coat of paint on it, Built a baffle (thanks to this site) and threw some scrap wood on the serving area until I can find a butcher block to fit.
Hell of a buy for $30 ey !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff
Jiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #63
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome to the site and congrats to your Dera. There is a slight learning curve to smoking on one and with help from the brethern your learning curve will be short.
Welcome aboard
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #64
campdude
Babbling Farker

$30 is a steal. Have fun driving on that learning curve!
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #65
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Well, I guess I hit paydirt! I've built a UDS and been smoking for some time now. Loving it and this site. I was reading something on another website and referenced a Bandera, and BBQ Brethren had all the info to modify one into a great smoker. Well, being a fellow Brethren, I took a look to find it, and presto, there it was. The real kicker is I have a Brinkman Smoke'N Pit Smoke King sitting in my work shop that has been collecting dust for several years.

My question now is, it appears to be very similar to the Bandera, just reversed configuration. I got it for practically nothing, so to put a little money and time to make the thing useful would be a no brainer. I had tried to use it a few times and never could get any heat in it, regulate well, etc, thus it was banned to the workshop to collect dust. I honestly kept saying I needed to roll to the curb to give away.... Boy am I glad I didn't do that if I can make this thing work!

Can anyone tell if the mods here can apply to the Brinkman? I know sealing it up was an issue before, so hopefully that is addressed, as I'll be reviewing the document next. Anyone out there that has modified a Brinkman, such as mine?

As always, thanks Brethren!!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #66
stglide

Update to my previous post...

Just got back from the shed uncovering the old Brink. I do see some differences in the two models for sure. One key thing I may have to account for is the firebox, as the Bandera has grate supports at various levels. The Brink doesn't have any supports, so not sure how critical that is to the function of the fire box. It does have a grate that sits approx 1/2 in or so above the floor of the firebox. I know the fire brick will negate the use of that. My guess, taking my UDS into account, is building a firebox w/ feet to elevate it for "breathing" room.

One other question is the box opening between the two models. Haven't measured mine yet, but wondered if that would make any difference....

Will post more as I dig into a little more.... Hope to get some Brethren assistance here!
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Old 01-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #67
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Dera and can only answer the questions specific to that unit. The general area has more readers and therefore a better chance someone will respond.
Hope you enjoy your Brinkman and figure it all out
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #68
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

thats the smoke king deluxe. Firebox is the same size, but the bandera was designed to uise the firebox as a grill also, thus the various levels afforded in the firebox. The smoke box grates were the size as the firebox so they slide in thru the side door onto one of the grate support heights.

to raise the grates in the BSKD, drill 4 holes in the 2 sides and put a couple of bolts( with nuts on the inside) at the hights u want the grate. Thats about 3-4 inchs off the bottom. i like mine about and inch and a half lower than the opening to the firebox.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #69
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
to raise the grates in the BSKD, drill 4 holes in the 2 sides and put a couple of bolts( with nuts on the inside) at the hights u want the grate. Thats about 3-4 inchs off the bottom. i like mine about and inch and a half lower than the opening to the firebox.
Good point! So as I read it, the grate would sit 1 1/2" below the opening, correct? This would put the charcoal basket partially in line w/ the opening an partly above it depending on height. I don't recall seeing dimensions or a diagram for the charcoal box, so just curious as to what works best, and can hold enough fuel for a long burn for something like a butt or brisket....

Tks again for the input!!
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #70
Simba7
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I have been searching for a Bandera for a year now. I used to own one about 4 years ago and bought it at Home Depot on close-out without knowing what it was. Fell in love with it and by some lapse of judgement, left it at a home I sold.......

Where can I buy another one?

Please help as I am losing weight and sobering up fast...
Simba7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #71
stglide

I'm not sure if they make it anymore, or somebody bought them out maybe... I have the Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe which is practically the same cooker, just the fire box reversed to other side. I did the mods recently listed here, and made a world of difference to my unit.

Only issue I had on the first cook, was it seemed to draft well enough, but pulled a lot of fine, fine, ash into the smoke chamber. I did have to add charcoal a couple times, so may have been when I poured it in from there....

BBQChef, any suggestions???
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #72
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

ive never had that problem. Did u have a big ash buildup in the firebox?

Is your grate a few inches below the opening?

i think your right, it must have come in when u dumped a chimney.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #73
Skimaniaz
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Is this what you are looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba7 View Post
I have been searching for a Bandera for a year now. I used to own one about 4 years ago and bought it at Home Depot on close-out without knowing what it was. Fell in love with it and by some lapse of judgement, left it at a home I sold.......

Where can I buy another one?

Please help as I am losing weight and sobering up fast...

Is this it:
http://www.thegrilloutlet.com/product/13/Bandera_Smoker
Skimaniaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #74
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
ive never had that problem. Did u have a big ash buildup in the firebox?

Is your grate a few inches below the opening?

i think your right, it must have come in when u dumped a chimney.
The grate itself is below the opening. Not exactly how much, but probably 1-1 1/2" below, but the basket does extend above the opening. The height of the grate was to get a couple inches of air space between the fire brick and the bottom of the grate. Wasn't sure if the draft was just that strong that it pulled up the ash or what. Did have quite a bit of ash, as I had used Kingsford Blue for the most part.

Still .....
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #75
turkey_stalker
Got Wood.

I have a Bandera Clone...Old Country BBQ pit from Academy. Two (for now ) questions regarding the MODS...

1. My firebox is welded to the cooking chanmber. How should I attach the heat baffle?

2. For a charcoal basket, what are some dimensions that some of you have used with the best results?

Thanks!!

Last edited by turkey_stalker; 05-12-2011 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: cockpit error
turkey_stalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
Bandera 101