MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #166
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Has anyone tried welding 1/4" sheets of metal in the firebox and just starting a fire right on the sheet with no grate? I might go that route...

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #167
buck+013
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Buck013
Default OK Joe Bandera

Just got OK Joe Bandera at Academy. They had reduced it to 199 then included it in the 50% off sale. I was not looking for a smoker but at less than 100 how could I not get it.

Now for the fun. Making suggested mods, fire brick in fire box and smoke box. smoke box door gasket and rtv to seal up everything. Need to find inexpensive metal for new fire box etc but will get there in a while.

Have no access to welding so must bolt everything together.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I plan on attaching gasket to door, put in fire bricks, and sealing before building a fire.

If it needs to be heated first just tell me.

Thanks!
buck+013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #168
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Seasoning it wont hurt. And it will run without the mods for the first few times to get your feet wet. no reason to wait to cook. I cooked on my bandera for a long time and did the mods one by one and noticed the improvements they made each time.

Get a few chickens, butterfly them, coad the inside of the smoke chamger with pan or crisco. Start a good size fire to get the chamber up to 450-500, then damper down and when it hits 375, put in the chickens.. ya get to season the pit and have dinner at the same time.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #169
Ronno6
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Ron

I have looked thru the thread and have a few questions.

1. I have installed firebrick in the firebox and smoke chamber.Should I have seasoned the smoker first, or OK to do after firebrick are installed?? What temp to season?

2. The firebrick make it so that the ash pan does not fit. Do I need the ash pan?
Make a disposable pan from tin foil? I have seen someone mention using the original ash pan in the smoke chamber.

3. How far above the firebridk should the charcoal basket be?

4. Does anyone have a pic of the baffle made from the drawing?

5. Should the charcoal basket be at or below the top of the firebox top opening?
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #170
mngiggle

Name/Nickname : SteveG

So, slightly dumb newbie question, but is the document in the first post maintained/updated, or is it being maintained elsewhere? If the latter, can I request the updated version?
mngiggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #171
DBRW
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Don
Default Glad I found this site!

Even though the posts on this thread are old they have been helpful. I hope someone still replies.

I bought a New Braunfels Bandera (vertical) smoker at an estate sale. Little rust. I cleaned it up a bit and tried it out. I've had some success and some not so successful smokes with it.

Based on the Bandera 101 document I just put the felt tape around the smoke chamber door. Problem is I had a heck of a time closing the door! I had to work hard to get it closed and latch it. No way I will be able to do that when its hot!

Did I do something wrong?

Mods I'm thinking of: Grommet for the probes and a basket for the charcoal and sticks. I found one on LavaLock 12x12x12 that I think should fix. Also fire bricks on the fire box bottom.
DBRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #172
Mkmac

Name/Nickname : M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty7879 View Post
I may be too dumb to find it but where can I find the so called files section for these mods?
I’m in the same boat- did you ever figure it out?
Mkmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #173
tangierc
Found some matches.

Just got my Bandera two days ago from Ace hardware. When I looked online it was $650 on the OKJ website, $500 at Home Depot, and $650 at Ace. I walked into Ace and it was $350 brand new (here in California). I know many of you have gotten it much cheaper many years ago though. I'm looking to replace my Broil King Vertical Smoker and my Masterbuilt Gravity series 1050. Let me tell you, I've had the 1050 since soon after it first came out last spring (2020).After many many cooks and various tactics using charcoal and wood, I cannot get the smoke flavor out of that unit that I can get on my vertical charcoal smoker - that being an older Broil King Vertical Charcoal Smoker. I really want a gravity fed vertical charcoal smoker that isn't in the price range of a Myron Mixon or Lonestar grillz.As much as I like how versatile the MB 1050 is, it comes down to flavor and unanimously every mouth that has eaten from both of my smokers prefer the Broil King by a landslide. The MB 1050 isn't even close and is often questionable if there's smoke. I'm not new to smoking either, not an expert, but have been smoking for about 5 years so I've learned useful things from my father-in-law, YouTube university and various forums and books. I don't always feel safe grilling on the MB 1050 and I tend to keep mine cleaned on the bottom after each cook. After talking to several folks who are experienced smokers it seems there is just something fundamentally different about the way a vertical works and imparts smoke flavor. So I am giving the Bandera a try.

About to season it, but first impressions:
  1. I do not like the door locking setups on this unit. May have to get some latches.
  2. Love that you can grill (which I seldom do, but goo do have anyway)
  3. Why did they make a side firebox door that doesn't seal that chamber off well?
  4. Why put a rack shelf in the way of the door lock

I'll definitely be looking into the mods.
  5. I wish the racks didn't just slide out and possibly tip over.
tangierc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bandera 101