MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #151
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I increased mine to about 3.5" with some bolts and feel really good about the temps I have been getting in the dry runs. I suspended it on bolts because I wanted the ability to take out the ash pan and dump it mid-cook.

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #152
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Czarbecue, what size basket if any are you running?
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #153
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

No basket but that is on the to-do list. It will probably be 15.5"x20"x8". Smitty will give me **** about making a charcoal basket but it's more to control my coal bed more than anything. During the curing stage I dumped my lit charcoal and had to chase hot coals all over the firebox since the stock ash pan and grate are undersized for the firebox.

I created a new ash pan with a 16"x20"x1/4" thick sheet and several 2" angle iron. I bolted all the sides down with 2" screws at the corners so the bottom is elevated from the firebox floor. Also have a sheet of expanded metal that is 15.5"x20" to use as the new fire grate.

I'll throw down a picture when I get home.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #154
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Default Bandera 101 Document

16x20" ash pan

1 inch clearance

Comparison

Snug fit.

Last edited by Czarbecue; 08-18-2017 at 11:30 PM..
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #155
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Nice job on the ash pan.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #156
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

Is anyone using anything between firebox and cook chamber? Seems like a lot of potential for leaks. Have my new Bandera from the Walmart clearance and wondering about sealing this area as I assemble.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2017, 03:15 AM   #157
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southstar Jeff View Post
Is anyone using anything between firebox and cook chamber? Seems like a lot of potential for leaks. Have my new Bandera from the Walmart clearance and wondering about sealing this area as I assemble.

Yes. Use high heat silicone. There will be gaps, as the six screws can't cover the entire opening. It may look solid when you put it together but the firebox will flex when you do your initial burn.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #158
ScottNC
Got rid of the matchlight.

Talking Walmart jackpot!

Okay Brothers don't hate me.
I've been a longtime member of this site, been smoking with a UDS for quite some time.
But after scoring a $25 Weber Kettle Grill at Walmart, due to their clearance sale on outdoor and Grilling items. They are trying to make room for their Christmas merchandise.
I started to look around on their app. I noticed in the store about 15 miles away from my home that they had one.
Hey Bandera, on closeout for the unbelievable low price of $89. Regular $376.
Needless to say I beat feeted it on down there, took me and then three of those Walmart kids to load it up in the back of my truck.
My wife thinks I'm crazy, cuz I already have two smokers UDS, and a Pit Barrel smoker. Of course she said what do you need another smoker for, I said it was $89. I said if you found a pair of $300 shoes for 50 bucks would you buy it? Needless to say she didn't give me any more grief.
Now it's time to mod this puppy out.
Thanks a head of time for all your help, because this site help me with my UDS. And they are just some good guys that like to smoke meat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170821_171246.jpg (67.2 KB, 740 views)
File Type: jpg 20170821_171100.jpg (47.8 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg 20170821_170644.jpg (101.6 KB, 732 views)
File Type: jpg 20170821_173458.jpg (87.0 KB, 734 views)
ScottNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #159
jeffeg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeavers View Post
101 doc was a great intro to outfitting your Bandera. I did a few cheap mods that was not on the list. In the fire box I took out the grill rack and clips that held up the grill rack. I repurposed the clips in the smoke box for retainers to keep the racks from falling out when loaded with meat when you pull them out. Place them in the middle of the rack clips on top of the rack then mark a spot to drill a hole to bolt to the smoke box. Use all four, two on each side stacked where you need them. Back to the fire box. I bought 6 fire bricks from Home Depot and started to place a layer on the bottom and three sides. Didn't have enough so on my way back to the Depot I found a masonry supply store and bought them at a fraction of the price. You will have to trim two of them to make a layer for the bottom. For the ones on the side I got a 4 bolts, washers, and nuts to hold them in place. To trim them, Soak them in water and cut them with circular saw using diamond concrete blade. You will have to modify the charcoal grate to make it fit back in. I cut a short link out and bolted them back together. You have to cut the ash pan also. I would suggest cutting the ash pan narrower than the charcoal rack to easily pull as out while smoking. Something I need to do.

One more that was mentioned in the document but I did it easy and cheap is the lid mod. There is a lot of dead space in the lid. I took out the direct flame ability for fire brick addition so I got two small pieces of flat steel (small gauge) and cut a narrow V about an inch from the outside corner on one at each corner. This makes "tabs" that slide over the inside lip of the lid. One sheet didn't fill the entire space so on the other sheet I only cut 2 V's and slid this one over the other to fill the gap. To keep it from sliding around I screwed a self tapping screw into the two sheets. Doesn't budge and easy to remove.

I hope this is helpful and you enjoy your Bandera. I can load mine up with charcoal and wood chunks and not have to touch it for about 3 hours.
Any pictures available you could post?
jeffeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #160
jeffeg

Quote:
I used 1/4 rope gasket, but I haven't fired it up yet.
if you do don't over tighten the bolts so the metal bends
I was concerned about it getting too hot for the high temp silicone
jeffeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #161
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

I used JBWeld extreme heat between the boxes.

https://www.jbweld.com/collections/m...-b-extremeheat

We will see how it goes.

I'm also in the process of mortaring in firebrick.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #162
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I used JBWeld extreme heat between the boxes.

https://www.jbweld.com/collections/m...-b-extremeheat

We will see how it goes.

I'm also in the process of mortaring in firebrick.
I initially used that with my ash pans but I found them a bit crumbly.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #163
on the hook

Ok, my new OJB is sealed...well, not quite...Thought I had it, but there are quite a few spots that leak that I didn't think would...Gasket on the main door is all...My problem is the temps...I lit about 1/2 chimney and it didn't get the temps anywhere ...190+/-.....Added another bunch and some wood(new to me for heat) and removed the baffle and the temps rose nicely...BUT only to maybe 225...Now, I added wood, more charcoal, opened door/vent and it has come up to 288 right now..I may just need to use more fuel than I'm used to...All my other rigs run cheap?...
on the hook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #164
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Default Bandera 101 Document

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the hook View Post
Ok, my new OJB is sealed...well, not quite...Thought I had it, but there are quite a few spots that leak that I didn't think would...Gasket on the main door is all...My problem is the temps...I lit about 1/2 chimney and it didn't get the temps anywhere ...190+/-.....Added another bunch and some wood(new to me for heat) and removed the baffle and the temps rose nicely...BUT only to maybe 225...Now, I added wood, more charcoal, opened door/vent and it has come up to 288 right now..I may just need to use more fuel than I'm used to...All my other rigs run cheap?...

Charcoal should only be your base. Get a nice bed of lit coals and throw in a split or two. Let that burn and throw a split on every 30-45 minutes or when your coal bed is dying out. You'll burn through charcoal if that's your main heat source.

This is a 275 F fire. I've found my smoke is nice and blue when I leave the door open so it stays open. What are your other rigs?

Last edited by Czarbecue; 08-26-2017 at 09:45 PM..
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #165
on the hook

These plus a New Braunfels BD and another Weber PG Kettle...Just the shear volume is probably my culprit...Didn't expect a lot of fuel...Not practical to do small cooks on this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21083638_1403515993035464_9043657513076776118_o.jpg (59.2 KB, 711 views)
on the hook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bandera 101