MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Bandera 101 Document

Here is the original Bandera 101 document. It is in Word format.

edit:

Baffle template by Dark thunder added.
Attached Files
File Type: doc BANDERA_101.doc (932.0 KB, 11602 views)
File Type: pdf This is a baffle mod of my own design8-17-02.pdf (231.8 KB, 6739 views)

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 05-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Brauma

Like, duh!! Why didnt we think of making this a sticky a long, long time ago??

Thanks for making it easier to find.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

AND - if anyone needs it in Rich Text Format (read: NOT Microsoft Word) just send me a message and I'll email it to you.
(file upload didn't work from this Macintosh for some reason)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
dbhost
On the road to being a farker

The Bandera 101 document needs some correction / updating to include some of the newer mods. I have an updated copy. Any way to send it on where it can do some good?

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
The Bandera 101 document needs some correction / updating to include some of the newer mods. I have an updated copy. Any way to send it on where it can do some good?
Check your PM box

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
dbhost
On the road to being a farker

Done, I will send it from home. No problem!

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
elwood
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I live in Bandera and have a Bandera Smoker...sweet huh!

The smoker needs a new coat of paint, anyone have suggestions as to what paint I should use?
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

high temp rustoleum is what I use.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
howy61
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

How do I get to the Bandera 101? Everytime I click the link, it asks me to log on again and then tells me I don't have the authority.

Wish this discussion was around in '05 when I bought mine. Sounds like better solutions than I came up with like raising the fire grate using rebar.

--------------- UPDATE ---------------
Ok never mind the doc request. A couple hours later when I tried the link again it worked.

Going through the doc, I saw oil smoke points came off the Good Eats fans site. That made me think maybe a quarry tile would work in the smoke box. That was an Alton Brown's suggestion for a cost effective alternative to a pizza stone in the oven. Since his recipe has the oven at 500 degrees with the tile, it should work in the bottom of the smoke box. Got to like Brown's hardware store solutions over expensive kitchen stuff.

Last edited by howy61; 10-29-2008 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Got the Bandera 101 doc
howy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
howy61

Is there any more info on the silicon door gasket (Brand, etc.)?

I am trying a different lay out in the fire box hoping it will hold more heat. At minimum it will keep all coals off the steel box walls. The cinder tray will not fit, but some aluminum foil should keep clean up easy. The same basic layout was used in the smoke box too with vertical bricks on only 2 sides.

Ace Hardware can order split fire brick, but the price was almost 3 times what I paid at a brick yard ($1.10 per brick). The manufacturer has links on the site to their dealers: http://www.rumford.com/store/firebrick.html.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you also need a masonry cut off wheel to cut and notch the bricks to fit. A 7 inch wheel was $2.09 at Home Depot. Take your time. Fire brick are much harder than conventional brick. Don't be surprised if you wear down the wheel. Finally, if you have a respirator mask, use it! The dust from cutting especially this type of ceramic brick would do a real number on the lungs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmpphpoXhy9Q.jpg (176.4 KB, 14941 views)

Last edited by howy61; 12-31-2008 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Adding Fire box picture

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
howy61

Fire bricks makes all the difference. I setup the firebox the same way I always did and the next thing I knew, the smoke box was reading 350 degrees. HELLOW!!!

It use to be a struggle to keep the smoke box a 225 degrees. Now 250 is easy.

Also found that the ash tray can be retasked into the bottom of the smoke box. Import for me because I do not use the bowl. I perferr to mop my ribs once an hour instead.

Finally, any update on the silicon door seal?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the tips. I will give the fire bricks a try in my BSKD.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
swamprb

I've got and read the Bandera 101 Document, are there any updates that have been added?

I plan to do the firebrick mod.

The smokebox door seems fairly tight, not known yet how much smoke/heat loss it may have, but am thinking it won't be all that hot that a BGE felt gasket or Cotronics gasket would work-any thoughts??

I need grates/racks, besides buying replacements from Char-Broil or having some expando welded up- what are some other options? I have some NSF chrome Metro shelves that I may donate to the cause.

Anyone using a Guru or Stoker on theirs?? Can you show me your setup?

How about some charcoal basket designs? I could use some inspiration!

Thanks in advance!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
fatty7879

I may be too dumb to find it but where can I find the so called files section for these mods?
fatty7879 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
bbqlover

Default Need fire basket

Loved the Bandera 101 Word doc. Just ordered a new Bandera and am waiting for it to arrive so I can start with the recommended mods. Is someone currently making and selling charcoal baskets. I want to buy one.

Thanks for the help!
bbqlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bandera 101