MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Grinding pork AFTER its cooked?

When I made sausage recently I carved a big chunk of the pork butt off as a chunk and threw it on my smoker for pulled pork. Unfortunately while I was making my sausage, I didn't see that my pellet cooker ran out of pellets until the cooker had been off for a little while.

Meat was plenty cooked, so I sliced it as a pork roast and tried chopping some for sandwiches. But my wife and kids didn't really like it that much so its sitting in a tupperware container in my fridge.

In order to try to come up with something they would eat, I'm wondering about running the cooked pork meat through my food grinder on the course plate and then just reheating it with some spices as taco meat. I can't see why this wouldn't work -- the grinder will certainly grind cooked meat too, right? I assume I just get it good and cold just like I would with raw meat? Or maybe its firm enough to grind as is (I think that was the reason they didn't like it in the first place!).

After typing this, it seems like a dumb question . . .
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

I feel like it would ruin the texture but I do not speak from experience. I cut up pork loin into thin strips for tacos
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Just.....

a guess here. I would think you may need to add some liquid to the cooked pork to get it through the grinder. Don't know how well cooked/drier textured meat would go through and then come out. Seems it would bind up in the grinder.

That said, I think your best bet would be to just chop it up with a cleaver or large knife till you get a finer/smaller consistency then maybe shallow fry and brown it up in a skillet with some taters, etc and make a hash with it. Could still be used in tacos or even a burrito filling. I normally do this with leftover brisket, pork, grilled chuck steaks, or even chicken. Sometimes I will even incorporate into a soup or stew will soften it up again.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-10-2018 at 03:42 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Why not braise it or put it into a crock pot for 8 hours with some pork stock (if you have any) or chicken stock till it pulls, then make pulled pork tacos. You can even add your taco spices to the braising liquid while its cooking.
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

I have pulsed cooked pork in a food processor before, added a little oil and water to prevent clumping and then reseasoned it. Quick one second pulses are the key when you start out.

Weber 22, Weber 22 OTG, Weber 16 and Kamado
wihint is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I do it for pizza sausage, but the meat is already ground sausage. I think you would be fine though. For pizza I make sausage into a meatloaf like patty.

Cook it fully, then cool

Pull into chunks, then grind through course plate. Turns out beautifully fluffy pizza and sausage roll meat.

I've done it with hot links to put in chili too. Turned out amazing.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
Joshw
Babbling Farker

You can grind cooked meat, no problem. Some sausage recipes, actually call for ground cooked meat. Boudin, is the one that comes to mind. I have also made a potato sausage, that calls for cooked meat, just can't think of the name.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #8
bbq_king
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : bbq_king

Just make sure to season it again after you grind it...only a callous master licks his own wounds.
bbq_king is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I grind lamb after its cooked all the time, suggest you go for it,can't be too different,
Mix some butter and oil in a pan and flash fry it

Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd chop it up and throw a can of pork gravy on it, over rice , egg noodles, smashed potatoes....
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I know you can grind chilled ham and leftover chicken to make a spread for sandwiches. Mayo, onion, celery are typical adders to add moistness.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #12
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

A restaurant down in Kemah (south of Houston, down on Galveston Bay), T-Bone Toms (was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) does a stuffed jalapeno appetizer. They run smoked brisket through a meat grinder, then stuff it in a whole jalapeno, bread then fry. I have had it several times and it is awesome. The texture is very good. Just like finely chopped meat.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #13
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd just chop/pull it, pan sear it for a little extra flavor, then throw it in a soft corn tortilla. Only gringos make tacos out of ground beef or pork (my wife is Mexican so I can say this definitively)

argh - didnt realize this was an old thread.