MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #31
Fishwater2002
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva822 View Post
My main thing with the direct grilling feature is that I'm usually doing reverse sear and, thus, would have to wait for it to come up to temperature to use it. Due to the velocity of internal temperatures, and the subsequent brief continuing and then drop in temp while you wait, it can be hard to get the final internal temp right. I find the sear station fixes that problem and so I won't have frequent use for the direct grilling feature.

However, I can imagine doing some asparagus or sausages or other things I don't typically do low and slow but want to get some color. We'll see.
Thanks for the insight. I see your point, I did steak this week on mine using the reverse sear on my sear box which is super quick. I’m more wondering about the simple things like burgers, dogs & chicken. Thinking maybe run the cooker at 350-400 with the protein off to the right side then move them over the flame for a little char, basically 2 zone like I do on the kettle.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #32
kiva822
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Matt
Default Probably pulling trigger on Camp Chef Woodwind; anything I'm missing?

Delivery today

Couple each of

Apple Blend
Hickory Blend
Char Hickory
100% Hickory
Competition Blend
Pecan Blend

will figure out what I like. I found a local independent selling for $12/bag which is best in area by a few bucks.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 AM   #33
Fishwater2002
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva822 View Post
Delivery today

Couple each of

Apple Blend
Hickory Blend
Char Hickory
100% Hickory
Competition Blend
Pecan Blend

will figure out what I like. I found a local independent selling for $12/bag which is best in area by a few bucks.
Very nice, please update the thread after you try a few of the blends. I only have a few choices locally but considered ordering some just to try.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #34
kiva822
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Matt

I am finding that my familiarity with the new grill and experimenting with the smoke settings are confounding any conclusions I can draw. I did a turkey with pecan. Very light flavor, but that was on smoke 10 and 190 for 20min then smoke 5 at 325 for rest of cook. Turkey wasn’t great, but it was a big bird, so was probably that.

I haven’t been using it a ton since I’ve been making soups. Did 100% hickory for the double smoked ham and it was fab.