Have any of you ever smoked okra?

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
bought some at the grocery store the other day. Was thinking of putting it on the smoker with a brisket I'm planning on cooking.

Thoughts on this? A few months back I tried smoking some bell peppers and they turned out weird and soggy.

Okra is the KING of weird & soggy (and slimy). I’d try grilling them & see how it turns out.

Or just try it & report back...or wait for someone who’s tried it to chime in, rather than go by my incoherent ramblings.

I havent got around to grilling it yet. But a recipe I have for grilling them says if you leave them whole, and only trim the top a little, so that the inside is not exposed to air, they will not be slimy.

I havent got around to grilling it yet. But a recipe I have for grilling them says if you leave them whole, and only trim the top a little, so that the inside is not exposed to air, they will not be slimy.

This is right. I put several on a skewer. Olive oil S&P and grill direct turning often.

I have smoked okra wrapped in bacon till the bacon is done. Fantastic.:thumb:

Grill hot. And fast or fry.Grilled okra is good with a little balsamic glaze( the thick syrupy kind) drizzled on it.

I really wonder if one could do a "Kettle Fried Okra" experiment with a Vortex...

Okra wrapped in bacon!? Whaaaaat!?

If I were to try, I think I would lay them in diced tomatoes. The acid from the tomatoes should help with the slime, plus the tomatoes would absorb more smoke flavors than the harder shelled okra.

OR

I would smoked already pickled okra, that way no slime to come into play.

Never smoked any but during the summer when our garden is producing we often grill it. It's usually been harvested within a couple of hours. We leave it whole, marinade it in a ziploc with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook it indirect on a pan with holes on a 400 degree grill. A welcome change from fried.

Adding a link to a post from some grilled okra
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236435&highlight=okra

Last edited:
Back