MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #31
Konrad_Haskins
Knows what a fatty is.

That I took this picture thinking of this smoker is proof that I'm a 'que geek.
Konrad_Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
bourbondrinker
Found some matches.

My Bandera project. When it first showed up it didn't even have wheels. Just some nubby plastic wrapped around the axel. First thing I did was but 2 new steel rimmed wheels on it so I could move it inside before my neighbors decided to chase me out of the neighborhood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0372.JPG (67.3 KB, 1975 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0373.JPG (93.5 KB, 1972 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.JPG (61.2 KB, 1951 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0375.JPG (52.7 KB, 1946 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0376.JPG (110.0 KB, 1951 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.JPG (93.0 KB, 1951 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.JPG (58.2 KB, 1931 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0380.JPG (55.2 KB, 1938 views)
bourbondrinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #33
bourbondrinker
Found some matches.

Here she is after 10 days of work. Still some more work to do, but it's getting close. Can't wait to fire it up. It'll be my first time using a real smoker, but I'm ready to get rolling! I'll post some more pics when it's all done.

I'll get some daylight pics when it's all done. Modifications so far:
  • Deflector in the smoke box.
  • Firebricks in the smoke box and fire box
  • Drain holes in the smoke box.
  • Charcoal basket
  • Steel rimmed wheels
It's really been a blessing finding this group. I feel like I'll be able to start this new hobby doing it correctly from the start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0451b.jpg (24.0 KB, 1945 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0452b.JPG (180.3 KB, 1956 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0453b.JPG (159.6 KB, 1951 views)
bourbondrinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #34
RobBnTX
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHarper View Post
I found the Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Smoke King Deluxe at the BBQ Grill Store (www.bbqsinc.com) for $549 and the Bandera at The Grill Outlet (www.thegrilloutlet.com) for $349. There's a few other mail order places that carry them; they'll show up with a Google search.
Please excuse if this seems like a dumb question but I understand Char-Broil bought out New Braunfels a few years ago. Do they still make the Bandera or is the one listed on the Grill Outlet site an older genuine New Braunfels model? On the Char-Broil site they do not have any New Braunfels models listed. Just curious, how does the Bandera compare with the Brinkmann Smoke King?

I just came from the Academy in Plano and they have an Old Country Vertical Smoker that caught my eye but did not have a price tag on it and they were way too busy and I was in too much of a hurry to try to get an associate to find out for me. I may have to go back when they are not so busy.

I registered on this site because I am in the market for a smoker and will probably end up with an WSM but I am intrigued by the Bandera.

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by RobBnTX; 04-11-2010 at 04:51 PM..
RobBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #35
bourbondrinker
Found some matches.

Here's the finished smoker project. I fired it up on Sunday. It got up to 250 degrees in less than ten minutes. Now I just need to get better at holding temp for a sustained period. Hopefully next weekend I'll put some real eats in it and go to town! I'm looking forward to learning more about using it and figuring out how to make some world class bbq!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0467.JPG (50.2 KB, 1937 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0469.JPG (65.7 KB, 1930 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.JPG (39.8 KB, 1927 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0483.JPG (109.8 KB, 1933 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.JPG (55.0 KB, 1920 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0492.JPG (51.7 KB, 1913 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0493.JPG (103.2 KB, 1921 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0494.JPG (78.1 KB, 1917 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.JPG (141.4 KB, 1918 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #36
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Thats a work of art. Brings a tear to my eye.:) Those banderas have a special place among many of us here. Great job.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #37
bourbondrinker
Found some matches.

I had the damnedest time finding a new water pan for the Bandera. I must of went to a dozen or more stores (over a 2 week period) that carry kitchen or grilling supplies. I was about to give up when I had an epiphany... a dog food bowl. There was a pet store in the same parking lot so I hopped in and they had a stainless steel bowl with a wide rim that was exactly the right size---and it was only $10. I also found a butcher block cutting board at TJ Maxx for $10 as well.

After the first time firing it up the restored paint on the firebox held up perfectly. Can't wait to see if it continues to hold---but if not I've got an extra can of paint on hand and ready.

The only thing left to do is clean up the metal cooking grates which are fugly and rusty.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #38
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

BourbonDrinker...that is outstanding. Take a bow.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #39
RobBnTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
BourbonDrinker...that is outstanding. Take a bow.
I agree, beautiful work, enjoy it!

Robert
RobBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #40
NateOwsley
On the road to being a farker

This is my new bandera find for only $100 http://evansville.craigslist.org/for/1675609050.html I can't wait to get working on the mods

Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #41
kmerian

Great Find!
kmerian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #42
Smokey Bones
Got Wood.

My wife talked me into getting a Bandera a couple of years ago that we saw at a local Walmart. Didn't really know how to smoke or what to do with it but it sure looked cool, and I made a "lot" of smoke with it.

Went as a newby with the Windomar East vrs. West comp and learned a lot. Out team came in 17th out of 48. Finally saw what better cooking was and how it was to be done. Found out about this site, and now after seeing the refurbished photos of others and about the mods I'm all set to fix-up my NBB and see what I can do. Thanks to all for you comments and insights.
Smokey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #43
Smokey Bones
Got Wood.

Keep reading that I need to review the "Useful Mods" document in the "files" section. I don't know and can't find the files section. Where is it?
Smokey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #44
WadePatton
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i don't even remember where i bought my "bandera". just found out why they quit makin' 'em. then started over...with, as usual, a lesser product.

mine hasn't been used since i was married (reception food!) and now i'm deevorced. time to get it and put her back into action.

i used to use bricks for a baffle...now i see that a i was going 'bout it all wrong. fire-bricks and a baffle.

got it home and had a fire in it pronto. cooked on it that night. great stuff.

have to tune it up a bit, but i'm still real happy i bought that smoker back when i did.

hey--i once saw a catalog listing of a ss version. did they ever actually make those?
WadePatton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #45
WadePatton
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

yo, anybody got a copy of the 101 in a different format?
WadePatton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bandera 101