Light, Shiny chicken glaze

HumboldtSmokeBBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
I got my skin bite through....meat, well its perfect. Any pointers on presentation...a little shinyness and added sweetness...? We are not saucing, do we have too? I think we are are tasting amazing as far as our chicken goes...i think we need help with our presentation a bit.

Thanks!

As for myself (a distinct minority), I prefer to taste the meat, not the sauce. It seems to me that a lot of judges like the thick, sweet, almost gummy type sauces. Sauce & skin are optional in KCBS comps, I don't know about the others. YMMV

Competiing in KCBS comps in Iowa and surrounding states we started with very little sauce on chicken and couldnt break the top 50%....started saucing with a Sauce/Honey/Apple Juice mixture (not just saucing but dipping the entire thigh in the sauce and letting it "set" in the cooker 5-15 min). Very shiny and very sticky. Still not as consistent as I like but we have managed 5 top tens since the switch...can tell when I hit Rookie's table at a comp:twisted: Just messin with ya Dave, I actually prefer the less/no sauce route too, but its clear to me that the majority of judges to not:mrgreen:

Oh and if you want "light" I would skip the honey....do sauce with a little butter and thin it a bunch with apple juice or a combo of apple and pineapple. The butter will give you shine and the apple juice thinning with keep it light (the more juice you add the thinner). Then right before you close the turn in box spritz with apple juice to add one more layer of shine

thank you for your help.
This is going to be my first comp, and as I stated, I really want to get my presentation down as best i can. We sauce, be it is lightly. I really want to get a nice flavorful glaze.

Back