MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Default holding ribs in a cooler

hi guys, please help, if you can.
i have an event soon, where i need to cook and hold @ 30 racks of babyback ribs.
i regularly hold brisket and butts in coolers for hours and they are still above 140* and too hot to handle.
i've never coolered a rib, so my question is will they stay hot too or is the peice of meat just too small to retain it's heat?
i figure they'll be in there @ 3 hours.
i found posts regarding quality but my 1st priority is safety, then i'll work on adjusting for taste.

and i know...i'll be sure no one sees the coolers. they aren't cambros

thanks everyone!

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 05-09-2011 at 11:17 AM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i think i found a way to prepare and serve them hot off the cooker, but if it turns out i need to cooler them, i'll post the results for anyone who might be interested or has a similar question in the future.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you cooler them, plan on taking the BBS off a little early. or Plen on venting them or letting them sit a spell for coolering them, so they do not keep cooking/

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

When you put big cuts in a cooler you want them to stay hot, even continue cooking or breaking down conective tissue. With ribs, I would cool them down then cooler them and reheat at the party on a grill in which time you can sauce or glaze them.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

At the Reno cook-off they cook thousands and thousands of ribs and the procedure most use is to smoke them and then put in Alto Sham's until ready to serve. They then toss them on a grill, sauce and serve. You are only holding them for 3 hours, pre-heat the Cambro and put them in there until ready to put on grill. They will continue to cook a bit but since most people think fall off the bone ribs are a sign of quality you should be ok.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

well, for anyone with the same question in the future. the answer for me is...

2 racks, wrapped and held in a cooler, unvented, works out just fine.

32 racks...i'm surprised the fire dept. didn't show up due to the cloud of steam that came out of the thing when we opened it.

holy fall off the bone! but, oddly enough, the meat wasn't mushy.

i would NOT do it again.

follow the advice of the others above, i just couldn't make the time to grill/reheat. in the future, i will just have to find it.