Looking For Time and Temp Guidelines On a Pellet Smoker / Pork Butt

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi All Brethren Brother and Sisters.

Looking For Time and Temp Guidelines on a Pellet Smoker Pork Butt, bone inn, Aprox 6 to 8 pounds. Internal temp too?

End goal, pulled pork.

Thank you.

195* if you run the pit at 225*

203* if you run the pit at 275*

Most of us will cook till probe enters the middle area like it's going in hot butter!!!

Last edited:
My pellet butt procedure:

put on smoker at night before bed, as late as possible, for me around 11pm or whenevr the beer tell me I had enough

get up early usually by 5 or 6 the meat will be ready for a pan with foil cover

2-3 hrs covered, till probe tender

rest a couple hrs or more in cooler of oven, not turned on

when ready to serve pull and eat

My pellet butt procedure:

put on smoker at night before bed, as late as possible, for me around 11pm or whenevr the beer tell me I had enough

get up early usually by 5 or 6 the meat will be ready for a pan with foil cover

2-3 hrs covered, till probe tender

rest a couple hrs or more in cooler of oven, not turned on

when ready to serve pull and eat

I have two approaches and this is one of them. Will run 225 the whole time (maybe a little lower the first couple hours if I can stay awake). Finish temp will be usually between 195 and 200.

Other option is to put it on in the morning at 225 until it gets up to Bout 160 - usually 5-6 hours. Then I’ll wrap it and bump the temp to 275. Will finish 203-207 in another three hours or so.

Time and temp just tell you when to start probing. The meat will tell you when it is done.

I have two approaches and this is one of them. Will run 225 the whole time (maybe a little lower the first couple hours if I can stay awake). Finish temp will be usually between 195 and 200.

Other option is to put it on in the morning at 225 until it gets up to Bout 160 - usually 5-6 hours. Then I’ll wrap it and bump the temp to 275. Will finish 203-207 in another three hours or so.

I didn't mention it but I run on smoke for overnight -200* I also do the same as you if I do the morning start but with the pellet cooker I like more time in the smoke mo better

I've been doing mine similar to Tom. Luckily, I stay up way later than I should, so it goes in on 'Smoke' for 2 hours, then I up it to 225 to go to sleep. Whenever I get up, I start looking at the temp and do the whole 'pan between 160-165' routine.

With pellet smokers producing more smoke at lower temps, I want to try something different on the next one. Previously I've only used a smoke tube for cold smoking, but I want to try cooking more around 275 or 300, and having the tube to compensate for the lack of smoke due to the higher temp.

I didn't realize the final temp would tend to be higher, with a higher cook temp, that's interesting.

I like putting the butt on at 11 or 12 pm on extreme smoke. Wake up at 6 or 7 and wrap it and turn temp up to 275. I have heard people say they are even better on a pg without wrapping. I am going to try this after not wrapping my brisket turned out so well.

... I want to try something different on the next one. Previously I've only used a smoke tube for cold smoking, but I want to try cooking more around 275 or 300, and having the tube to compensate for the lack of smoke due to the higher temp. ...
I do that fairly regularly and it works fine. I'd suggest the A-MAZE-N adjustable length tube. (https://amazenproducts.com/smokers?product_id=7988) I adjust mine to the front-to-back distance of my cooker (to maximize pellet capacity), then just tuck it away along the right side of the grate where it takes little space. I have the A-MAZE-N maze too, and it would work fine but using it would eat up a lot of grate space.

Lots of good plans ^^^^

I always figure 1 1/2 hours per pound if I run between 225-250. I try not to open the smoker unless I have too. I spritz with apple juice/apple cider vinegar about once an hour after the first 90 minutes.

I always build in two extra hours on my cook time to rest the meat. This gives me a little extra time if the meat takes longer than planned.

If I wrap, I wrap based on what the meat looks like (I like bark). Generally it matches with the 160-165 temp. If I wrap I use paper.

If I have not gone past a potential stall 160-165 with five hours to the time I hope to eat I crank the heat up to 250-275 depending on how much time I have.

The butt is pretty forgiving. I just did two 4 pounders on my egg two days ago. We pulled one. The second one went to pulled pork tenderness but we refrigerated it and sliced it. I kind of like it that way. Did a BBQ pizza last night.

Cheers! Yaker

Hot and Fast
-Rub let set overnight
-300* until 165ish (4 hours-ish) using amazin tube. If enough time let set with just tube smoking for an hour. Last time I did fat down and was excellent
-Foil pan with butcher paper covering
-Check bone looseness around 200ish ( 2hours-ish)
-Rest in cambro/cooler for at least and hour
-Pull and add some juices back and rub too if desired
*I always make 2 so I can freeze a bunch for quick dinners and give to Mom and Mother in law in some smaller packages

Thank You!

You are welcome. On my pellet cooker, I will start the night before at 200*. This will help with the smoke. When I get up in the morning(6:00am), I kick it up to 250* and look for a finish temp around 200*internal temp. Should be mid morning. If bone in butt, cook till loose bone, think of a childs tooth about ready to come out. Like I said, the middle area of the butt should probe like hot butter. Always rest for a couple of hours, it can be warmed up in a half pan(covered) with a little apple juice if needed for supper.

PB's are VERY forgiven, overcook if in doubt.

You have a built in them for doneness with the bone. When it gets loose and pulls or almost pulls it's done. That's what I like about the butts.

I like putting the butt on at 11 or 12 pm on extreme smoke. Wake up at 6 or 7 and wrap it and turn temp up to 275. I have heard people say they are even better on a pg without wrapping. I am going to try this after not wrapping my brisket turned out so well.

I have cooked 3 pork butts on my RT590. All of them unwrapped. I have done all of them overnight at low temps (around 200) for more smoke and to stretch the cook out a bit. The bark is thick and probably just too much for some, but I liked it.

In my experience, if you are cooking 200-225 you will get an easy 2 hours per pound cooking time on a pellet grill. Put it on the pit around 10pm at 195-200 and let it roll all night. When you wake up, check temp and adjust as needed depending on serving time.

Back