• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wings on a drum?

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife's company is holding it's first annual employee BBQ competition. In addition to the 4 standard turn ins, they are doing a People's Choice contest the night before the comp. Each team will receive 20 pounds of wings to prepare as they see fit and then sell to the folks wandering around the event. Highest dollar amount wins, all money goes to charity. One question though... I've done plenty of thighs on my drum, but never wings. I have some time to practice, but what should I be looking at for cooking method? High heat w/ a little bit of smoke? Or let them go for a few hours low and slow? thanks!

I would do the high heat w/ some smoke. That way the skin is nice and crispy when you bite into it. I'm not a fan of the softer skin when eating wings.

Yep - these guys are pointing you in the right direction.
Maybe brine them if you are looking for a different flavor, but higher heat and a little smoke. You don't want the wings to taste like an ash tray.

Also, I read that you can add either a small amount of baking powder or cornstarch to your rub mixture to help with crispiness. I've tried both, but couldn't say whether or not it helped.

I thought I read or heard somewhere that brining can lead to rubbery skin. Anyone care to back this up?

When I do wings they are 275-300, 90 minutes or so. Apple or cherry wood.

Wings....

Love wings... so much! I would like to be a part of that comp!

Cook'em hot and fast and dry rub only for a crispy treat. High heat (375) for 1.5-1.75 hours.

2nd pic down were wings soaked in pomegranate & cranberry juice mixture with a dash of powdered garlic and black pepper. After soaking for 3 hours, removed from bowl, dried and Kooked. The residual sugars in the juices are to blame for a blackened burned edges. Still tasted good. Crispy exterior, slide of the bone moist interior.

Breaded chicken? You bet ya! Just make sure the breading is put on VERY lightly otherwise it can get be a gooey mess and not crisp up.

Attachments

• DSCF0042.jpg
    DSCF0042.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF1253.jpg
    DSCF1253.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 280
  • P1030383.jpg
    P1030383.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 282
  • P1070153.jpg
    P1070153.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 281
Thanks a bunch! Gonna do a test run this weekend. I've got time and hungry friends. So should be able to experiment a bit. Thanks again!

I like to rub evoo and sprinkle lemon pepper on them. Grill from 375 to 400. After 45 minutes BBQ sauce on both sides then back to the grill for another 15 minutes. Put a chunk of wood on early. You can get too much smoke on chicken pretty easy. The skin will be crunchy from the higher heat and carmelazing BBQ sauce.
Good stuff Maynard!

Try splitting the wings at the joint. Lightly coat with olive oil then apply your dry rub. Usually cook around the275-300 range for 1.5 to 2 hrs, then finish off on higher heat yet to crisp up the skin so it is not rubbery. The rub I would use would be high in sugar compared to most with cayenne, so as your eating them you get a good taste with the smoke then a little kick from the cayenne at the finish. This is how I've made hundreds of wings that people enjoy here in buffalo, ny (home of the chkn wing)"

Seriously? You cook wings at 375F for 1.5 - 1.75 hours?

Yep! Usually put the wings on when he cooker is about 250 (esp when doing breaded wings, minimal smoke wanted). Don't forget now, using our ceramic cooker it's just about shut down and VERY little heat (and moisture) escapes while cooking. I am often saying "thing cooks like a microwave".....

Crispy is what the wife wants, crispy is what she gets!

I won a wings comp on an UDS a few weeks back. Here's what I did. I separated the wings into the pieces you normally get when you order them at a restaurant. Rub with plowboys. Into the drum at 275 with a small piece of hickory. Turned them a few times during the cook & were done in about 45 minutes. They got done faster than I was expecting so I held them in a dry cooler. Fired up my charcoal grill & got it nice and hot. Put my special sauce in a big bowl. Put the wings on the hot grill for a few minutes, turning constantly to crisp up the skin. Then put them right into the sauce bowl. Toss them around & back on the the grill to caramelize the sauce. Turn constantly. They don't need to be on for very long. You can check out the pic of them in the turn in box on the link below.
Good Luck:grin:

how i do wings,i get triple the amount because everyone love wings,you dont want to run out- i get my wings at costco and the n i get the sides when i'm lazy in get the kosher coleslaw in the 2 pound jars,i get 4 of them,then i get my water logged hickory chunk and i smokes the wings for like 4 hours on a medium hit,but everyone abouve are right too,if pressed for time 2 hours is enough on high heat.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Back