Lump charcoal

rowdycowboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can order Best Choice Lump at? I can thru the local grocery but trying to find a place with best deal to give me a cheaper price for order a big order.

It's a grocery store brand that Royal Oak makes, from what I've read, so you probably can't find it anywhere else. It is good stuff, though, and probably better than the RO lump that's not made in the USA. I used some w/ Stubbs to cook my 13 pound turkey in 2.5 hours on my wsm for it's highest heat cook, yet.

YeahI have been using it that is all I use but it is running around 7 dollars a bag. Just wondering if it was any cheaper anywhere else.

Ever try Cowboy Brand? Home Depot and Lowes sometimes carry it. Also check hearth and fireplace shops that carry outdoor patio furnishings. They usually carry Big Green Eggs and, if so, they will have lump too.

YeahI have been using it that is all I use but it is running around 7 dollars a bag. Just wondering if it was any cheaper anywhere else.

I might've already suggested some of this, but you might find some made in USA Royal Oak through a restaurant supply in a big bag for less, or wait until next year and go see if your Walmart gets any. Other than that, like I said, the Best Choice brand is a grocery store brand, so you're probably out of luck.

However, It IS most definately a quality lump, so even if others are cheaper, like Cowboy (for burning out UDS drums, only:p), you'll get more bang for your buck w/ the good stuff. I mean, I'm sure you're spending less than what you'd pay w/ shipping for stuff bought online, right?

I was really impressed with the Best Choice the other day and put a bunch leftover in my charcoal bucket. Better than B&B, Frontier, and the Royal Oak I've used in the past. Come to think of it, it might've been the best lump I've ever used, and if you're stuck on lump, save some $$ by choking your fire out real quick and recycling what's left.:thumb:

I would avoid CB brand because the quality is inconsistent and wood used suspicious. For awhile I used it on my BGE because I did not know any better. I've moved away from whole lump in favor of briquettes, for obvious reasons. Last night, I smoked 4 boneless butts on my new Weber 22.5 with my Stoker on autopilot. Let er go 9 hours or so with apple and cherry. I got to admit I was blown away.

I would avoid CB brand because the quality is inconsistent and wood used suspicious. For awhile I used it on my BGE because I did not know any better. I've moved away from whole lump in favor of briquettes, for obvious reasons. Last night, I smoked 4 boneless butts on my new Weber 22.5 with my Stoker on autopilot. Let er go 9 hours or so with apple and cherry. I got to admit I was blown away.

Keith, I'd think it was the efficiency of your BGE hiding the otherwise obvious shortcomings of the Cow(Patty)boy lump. If you'd been smoking those butts on your big WEBER with the same stuff, you wouldn't have been so blown away, at least not in the same way. Congrats on the new cooker. :thumb:

I live in Lincoln Nebr. We get Best Choice for $5. Good stuff.

Give Publix Green Wise or wicked good lump a try. Both are pretty reasonable and work well for high temp cooks.

Back