• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS rules and regs

I know you'll find this surprising, but I've had them printed out for two weeks! :D

It's a good idea to print out the rules for any sanctioning group you'll participate with -- never assume the rules are the same.

Also, print and READ the local rules. Get the info pack from the sponsors and check out if turn-in times have changed, what time is the meat inspection, how early can you set up, etc.

Oh yeah, have fun!! :D

I just printed the PDF because it was more clean then that whole page.

Great info that is added to my ever growing collection of homework.

peace and Smoke On!
mike

I'm printing them. Got to know them inside out before the contest. A tip from my judging class - make sure the submission box is clean, no dripping sauce or puddles of sauce or sauce stains on the inside lid.

A little side note: you do NOT have to garnish! However, I think you'd be signing your team's death warrant at a KCBS cook off. Gotta have that nice green lettuce - no kale!! I do believe that a bed of parsley can be used.

Of course with the submission you are at the mercy of the person you hand your carefully prepared box to. If he/she drops or shakes it, well, what can ya do? :D

I agree with DF that you need to garnish, even if the rules say you don't have to. The best looking trays I have judged usually have both lettuce and parsley, but make sure it is the right kind of parsely, they don't allow some types.

even if the rules say you don't have to

Be REAL careful -- FBA forbids garnish!! Lettuce in the box gets you an automatic disqualification. We judge the meat not the lettuce! :D

Yep, make sure you've got the allowable stuff for garnish.

DFLittle said:
A little side note: you do NOT have to garnish! However, I think you'd be signing your team's death warrant at a KCBS cook off.

I agree totally. However, in the KCBS judging class I took we were told that we were not to take points off if there was no garnish. We are to judge by appearance only. If it looks good - give a good score.

The judging for appearance takes about 15 seconds per submission. It's got to catch the judges eye IMMEDIATELY or forget about it.

IMHO, the garnish really serves two points. One, it looks pretty and properly done, accents the meat perfectly. Two, it helps holds the meat in place in the box.

Just make absolutely sure that what you are using for garnish is allowed at that competition.

Looks like they are allowing pretty much the same stuffthat we used during the grill king comp.

midnight said:
I agree with DF that you need to garnish, even if the rules say you don't have to. The best looking trays I have judged usually have both lettuce and parsley, but make sure it is the right kind of parsely, they don't allow some types.

Greg and I took the class

There was a pork submission with no greens at all.

People trashed it on presentation.

So I concur, add something, or you'll be farked.

Me, I gave the mountain of pulled pork a 8 on presentation, only to be given looks by other judges. I could see good smoke ring pork in a pile. Non Q judges saw a pile of meat.

So spend the time and put in the green, I concur

Back