• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Traeger grill or Green egg?

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to get a new grill soon, just not sure what to get. Something to smoke, grill and bake on...

A local place has Traeger Lil' tex grills on clearance for $599.

Large green egg, with egg stand and egg mate will push $1000..

The Traeger seems like a decent buy, just not sure if it'll be as versitle as the green egg..

Thoughts?

You've been a good boy, you deserve B O T H, This is certainly going to get interesting. If I could spend a grand on a grill it would most certainly be on an Egg, to add to my Webers, but that Traeger looks mighty good at 599.

Owning both a Traeger 075 and multiple BGE's, I vote Egg. I've got three racks of ribs on one of the BGEs now. The Lil Tex is a small grill and won't treat you well in the MN winters. Having said that, $1000 for a BGE set up is a lot. You could probably do better on the price. Look for demo events, etc. At the Qlossal contest in Des Moines, the local Egg dealer was selling the Eggs used for the contest at a discounted price.

The egg along is $749, the nest was $100 or so, the egg mate was $80 or so.

I vote egg. It was one of my best purchases so far. Versatile and very fuel efficient. Ive not been impressed with the size of the treagers for the amount of money they want for em.

Egg, Egg, Egg, Egg, Egg....
What was the guestion??

You decide

Pellets are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pellet cooker can be a set and forget cooker.

Is the quantity of product an issue?

Living where you do, you might want to ask/consider what is the best cooker year round ie rain/snow.

You will do well with either but only one will fit YOUR needs best.

mm

I have a Traegor 075 and BGE XL. Both are great grills. If I had to have only one it would probably be the egg. The egg is a lot more fun and you can get a lot more intense flavor from wood and charcoal for meats that can handle it.

On the other hand, it is great to throw some butts on the traegor, set the dial to 225 and go to bed and sleep like a baby.

I don't have a Traeger they look pretty cool though. They had them where I bought my egg.

Go with the Egg. Forget the egg mates just use a little table for now, you might want to put it in a cart or table later.

I haven't used an egg, but I can vouch for the Traeger and keeping it's heat if that is a concern. I did an overnight cook on my Lil Tex in some 5 degree weather around Christmas last year and it regulated it's heat great.

Back