• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked homegrown shrimp

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been asked to post a bit about my shrimp....If this is not allowed, please move or delete this thread. Thank you!

I stock my pond with 30 day old juvenile shrimp that have been hatched in salt water and introduced to fresh....

154-1.jpg

I feed them a sinking catfish feed ....

IMAG0002shrimp2-copy-1.jpg

smoker3042-copy-copy-1.jpg

I harvest them in the fall....

IMAG0017harvestinicechest-copy-1.jpg

Here are some of them marinading in a mixture of evoo, sherry, garlic and some of my smoked seasoned salt.

100_3920-1.jpg

I like to wrap them in bacon...

100_3922-1.jpg

I smoked them with olive wood on my horizontal pit along with some shrimp, garlic, onion, cream cheese stuffed ABTs

100_3933-1.jpg

100_3942-1.jpg

And made a chipotle dipping sauce, but they were good without the sauce...
100_3955-1.jpg

What I do not use while harvesting, I freeze for use until next harvest. It's been working out great for me.

Now thats really cool so where do you live in Oklahoma and where might this pond be....

How cool would that be to be sitting at home wondering what to have for dinner, how 'bout some shrimp?, OK, let me go get the net and scoop some up. Dang!

Scott

Thanks folks! Yes, I raise them just for my own use....and my pond location is top secret. lol

Very nice, there is some folks a little south of me who raise shrimp in fresh water like this for profit. Excellent Pron!!

Thanks folks! They have been a fun crop to raise.:smile:

Wow. Ive known people to farm raise catfish, trout and other fish. Thats the first time Ive seen someone raise shrimp. Thats cool!

cool!
how does the taste compare to saltwater raised shrimp? there's a freshwater shrimp place near me and i've been wanting to try some.........

Thanks Brauma and Rick!
I love gulf shrimp but do not have access to good fresh gulf shrimp here, so this is my solution. I have tried "store bought" freshwater shrimp and found them to be a bit soft in texture.
I do not notice a difference in my fresh out of the water shrimp and gulf shrimp.
They take marinades and rubs really well and are great on the smoker or grill.

Hy Cowgirl, that is awsome.
I always wondered about raising shrimp at home.
I wonder if you could do that with Lobster

Thanks NotleyQue, I've wondered that too. That would be nice!!

I raised crabs once!:wink: Transplants. Man oh man, I mean woman you raise beef, pork, horses, shrimp and build smokehouses. Where were girls like you when I was dating?

I raised crabs once!:wink: Transplants. Man oh man, I mean woman you raise beef, pork, horses, shrimp and build smokehouses. Where were girls like you when I was dating?

Hi Norcoredneck! Thanks, good to see ya!

Cowgirl.....when do we all get invited over for some of your rais'ins?

Awesome job there. So I take it that your pond is free of all other types of fish?

Back