MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #3391
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayDown View Post
what is everyone using to hang the flat lid off the side of the drum?

I need to go back through this again because I am looking to add a table for my maverick thermo and other items..plus I still do not have handles on the lid or thew sides of the drum....and nothing to raise the charcoal basket out with other than my hands...I also need to fab an ash shaker.
i use a Tarp Rope Hook i believe it is called it was under a dollar at the hardware store

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0522.JPG (126.3 KB, 1310 views)

Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #3392
Cecil
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz6ft9in View Post
Ok, so I FINALLY finsihed the UDS about 3 weeks ago. I love it. I've cooked on it multiple times, turned out great Q and noticed somethings I need to change.

1. I don't have a cover where I store mine, so how do you guys cover the holes in the flat lid to keep water out?
You can get a generic cover at HD or lowes. Here is what mine looks like and cost.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...593&lpage=none
=============================

NB Bandera
UDS
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #3393
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #3394
swamprb

Size doesn't matter!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #3395
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

I used a heavy duty trash bag used for yard debris or over a year, worked great! Slip it over, tie a string around the bottom to keep the wind from blowing it off. It adds to the UDS exp
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #3396
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 View Post
I used a heavy duty trash bag used for yard debris or over a year, worked great! Slip it over, tie a string around the bottom to keep the wind from blowing it off. It adds to the UDS exp
Now that's in spirit with the UDS concept!

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #3397
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

So, how do I build one of these?

Kidding... I finally finished reading all 227 pages, 3396 posts and I have now committed it all to memory. Got a free drum from the local sewage plant... I'll burn it out and start installing all my galvenized hardware. I'm going to put in 18 1/8" intakes at 4 1/2" from the bottom.

Again... joking. It's amazing how many people don't read and simply ask "How do I build one of these?"

Seriously though, I am getting a new drum today for free that my brother acquired through work. He says it has some kind of lining, I'll check it out later. I'm planning on the standard no-weld build... 3 3/4" intakes, one ball valve, 2 caps, 2" from bottom, 8 1/2" exhaust holes. I'll post pics along the way and more specs as well. I won't get to it until next weekend as we're going to San Antonio tomorrow for a long weekend getaway with the kids, my parents, and my bro and his family.

Thanks to those before me that have posted all the amazing collection of info and ideas. Only took me two weeks to read. I can't wait to start building. I even got my boss interested in building his own too!

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can
Brinkman Pro Series 4400 Gasser

"I'd rather have a belly from drinking than a hump from working."
ctbeerbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #3398
jeepaholic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well I got my U.D.S. built and outside seasoning.so here are a few things learned. Washers are your friend I drilled a few holes a little to big. The lady at lowes return desk is nice.Bought the wrong size bolts..

So finally got all the right parts had Jose at the local weld shop put together my fire basket $25 bucks for labor and expanded metal.

so now I have everything put together. Took the drum out side and sprayed pam cooking oil on the inside to season put about 10 pounds of kings ford got out my handy Harbor freight flame thrower and lit the coals.. Extreme caution should be used here. while using it to light the coal things get friggen hot I put on a long welders glove on but that only helped a little bit...

so here are a few questions now.

I put in the coals and wood chunks. Open all the vents how long should I wait before I close things up to drop temp and start my cook?
jeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #3399
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaholic View Post

so here are a few questions now.

I put in the coals and wood chunks. Open all the vents how long should I wait before I close things up to drop temp and start my cook?
It is better to catch your temp on the way up and stabilize it than going past your target temp and playing hades trying to get your temp back down. I usually start capping about 190F and by the time I'm around 210F I have one intake wide open and the ball valve 3/4 open. From there it is a matter of fine tuning temp. Mine is usually g.t.g. in roughly 15 minutes.
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen

Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #3400
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 View Post
Hey Wyley, fellow TNFO here just down the road from ya! If you haven't already stop by cattle call and introduce yourself. glad to hear your mini UDS worked out great! How much height do you have between the bottom of your charcoal basket and cooking grate? Curious minds want to know!
Cardiac, I have 21 3/4 inches between the bottom of my charcoal basket and cooking grate. I had to throw the conventional wisdom out the window when I had to drill my intake holes (1") dead even with the bottom of the drum. There were some small gashes that had to be taken care of so I just incorporated those into my intake holes, not realizing just how far down that was going to put the intakes. I am using a perforated pizza pan that I enlarged a bunch of the holes in for the bottom of my charcoal basket with an expanded metal ring that measures 16 X 7 sitting on top of it. I have eight 1" exhaust holes which i think is too much but if I cover a couple of them the temps stay down so I'm not real concerned about that.

I had no problem at all keeping the temps within about a 15-20 degree window all day. The only time I had a big swing was when we had a thunderstorm come through and the outside temp dropped about 20 degrees in just a couple of minutes, and the temps in the UDS went from around 235 to 200. I just moved a magnet covering one of the intakes a bit and my temps went right back up. One thing I did notice though is that I had to run all of the intakes almost entirely closed to keep the temps in the right place. I think that's because I have so much exhaust area that it was letting in fresh air. But the flip side of that is that when I took the lid off to turn the meat I got no swing in temp either way.

The best thing about this small UDS that I made is that I have absolutely no money in it at all. I'm probably going to pass it on to a friend after I've made a normal sized one but the experience was fun and I learned a few things not to do again and a few things I need or would like to do on my next one.

Paul
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #3401
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Thx Wyely. You'll want to keep your mini UDS even after making your next 2, they are like a drug, take your first hit and your never the same. Just ask Swamprb, he has a UDS for every occasion and one in every size.
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen

Old 06-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #3402
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

OK, so I didn't commit everything to memory.

I have a question for the experts... I received my free drum last night from my brother. It's new with a painted lining (not the dreaded epoxy liner). But the lid that he brought me was not from that drum. Either it didn't come with a lid, or he just couldn't find it. This lid is from a barrel of contact cement. I plan on cleaning/scraping/burning/wire-brushing the hell out of it until it is clean.

So here's my question: The lid is the one with the two bung holes, so should I use those for the exhaust, or keep them sealed and drill the 8 1/2" holes?

Thanks for any feedback the UDS experts can provide!

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can

Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #3403
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

The two I have both had the removable bungs, so I just use one of those. Makes it real easy to shut down at the end of a cook, put in the cap and close the vents. Cold in less than an hour.
Try the bung as exhaust first. If you don't like it then drill the exhaust holes in the lid.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #3404
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
The two I have both had the removable bungs, so I just use one of those. Makes it real easy to shut down at the end of a cook, put in the cap and close the vents. Cold in less than an hour.
Try the bung as exhaust first. If you don't like it then drill the exhaust holes in the lid.
Do you have any issues with hot spots? My lid has one bung in the center and one on the side... which one is recommended for better heat distribution?

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can

Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #3405
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use the bung and a clip from a ratchet strap as a lid clip.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker