Whole Shoulder on UDS , Suggestions for SUCCESS

TurboDog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 15 pound pork shoulder that I plan on cooking tomorrow on the UDS. In the past I have cooked butts , but never whole shoulders , not sure it makes much of a difference. I also have never followed a recipe , sometimes they come out great , others not so much. I usually just rub them down with what ever I have on hand and throw them on at 250 for about 6 or 8 hours till they just about to fall apart.

I am cooking this one for a group of people that are coming over for a Halloween party tomorrow night , and I really want to knock it out of the park. My first inclination is to follow Chris Lilly's award winnig pork butt recipe , but I'm open to suggestions. I am sure I am in the right place to get some sound advice , thanks in advance.

Bump the temp up to 300-325 and cook it on the bottom rack. Skin up for 2-3 hours then flip until it's done. Hopefully that crisps up your skin nicely. Season with just salt...season the skin. Pull or chop...seasoning with a little more salt and just a little vinegar sauce. Have a little tomato in your sauce and you just made Lexington North Carolina style barbecue. Enjoy!

Bump the temp up to 300-325 and cook it on the bottom rack. Skin up for 2-3 hours then flip until it's done. Hopefully that crisps up your skin nicely. Season with just salt...season the skin. Pull or chop...seasoning with a little more salt and just a little vinegar sauce. Have a little tomato in your sauce and you just made Lexington North Carolina style barbecue. Enjoy!

x2:clap2:

If you want to do an injection, Chris Lilly's is great. When I inject, I usually do it the night before. Then I will rub and plastic wrap the butt overnight in the fridge. Add a little more rub before cooking.

Back